How to remove a padlock?!

Page 1 of 2
I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the tire pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the spare tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.
It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until it gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw? Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

cutoff wheel in a diegrinder or dremel tool will cut the hasp pretty easily.

rebar to make a retaining wall, and they went like butter.

Glad it solved your problem!

call a locksmith
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:19:09 GMT, AZ Nomad

That would cost more than buying the tools to cut it off.

especially if your time is worth nothing.
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:33:14 GMT, AZ Nomad

If you call a locksmith, you'll be spending time waiting for him, watching him open the lock, and then writing him a check. If you buy the tool, you will pay less, probably save some of your valuable time, and when you are done, you will still have the nice new tool for other projects.
on 10/4/2007 10:55 AM Toller said the following:

bolt cutters.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Christopher A. Young
.
.

"willshak" < snipped-for-privacy@00hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
on 10/5/2007 8:14 PM Stormin Mormon (on backup computer) said the following:

Not many thieves go to the PD for help.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Stranger things happen. You sure would not want to be the cop who had to expliian why he cut a lock off a, soon to be stolen, trailer and sent the thief on his way.
on 10/5/2007 8:55 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

Well, having been in the position for 38 years, I would want proof that the padlock belonged to the person requesting that it be cut off. Even if no ownership proof was forthcoming, at least the full pedigree of the person and the trailer would suffice.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Oct 5, 5:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yep, unbelievably stranger. I worked as dispatcher and jailer for 15 years. Best I recall is the dope dealer that called the cops to complain that he had been robbed at gunpoint of his stash of wacky tobaccy. Both ends of that one wound up in jail. (Pullman, Wa in Whiman Co. early 90s. Can't recall the names though)
Harry K

OK, I won't suggest a boltcutter then, but that's the fastest, easiest way to remove it.
--
Regards,

You'll have them soon.
If it is a hardened hasp, it twill take months with a hacksaw. Look for a cheap bolt cutter for a one time deal, or borrow one.

like Harbor Fright for $20. Once you see how fast that takes a lock off you might reconsider locks as a deterrant.

Locks won't keep out the determined, anyway - and the cheapo side grinders haven't changed the situation at all. Boltcutters require no electricity, make very little noise, and take only seconds to open a padlock.
--
Regards,
On Oct 4, 8:50 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Amen to that! I finally bought a 4" disc grinder (Wally World) at about $20. Amazing the jobs you use it on.
Harry K