How to refinish old floors

I have some very old, 100+ years, cedar floors in my house and decided that I'd refinish all of them. I started with the amster bedroom with a drum sander and 24 grit paper but it still took all day. First I needed to get through the paint and then the yellow stuff underneith (like putty) just keeps gumming up the sand paper when it is heated. I tried stripping parts of the floor first with stripper but that didn't help much. Using a heat gun helps a bit but is very, very labour intesive. Does anyone know how to remove this"putty" without 200+ sheets of sandpaper?
I would use the heat gun.
HotRod wrote:

HotRod wrote:

How thick is it? Could it be linoleum?