How to recycle old Reel to Reel tapes?

I'm getting rid of a few hundred old 7" reels of recording tape. Anyone have an idea how to do it outside of just throwing them out? I don't care about security, it's just old music. They are heavy though. It seems wasteful to just dump them out in bags but I don't have a much better idea.

In our part of the world, city halls provide this information. Not many plastic materials more than 20 years old are accepted for recycling.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
dgk wrote:

Put a free ad on kijiji.com under the city that you're located in (or the closest city that the list to where you are).
Take at least 1 picture of a few of the reels. Post your offer as "free" and you will get at least a dozen offers within 24 hours of people willing to take them off your hands.
I'd list them for sale on Ebay. Some old audiophile out there might get a bit of pleasure.
I'm getting rid of a few hundred old 7" reels of recording tape. Anyone have an idea how to do it outside of just throwing them out? I don't care about security, it's just old music. They are heavy though. It seems wasteful to just dump them out in bags but I don't have a much better idea.
On 2/19/2013 11:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

In fact, there are dozens of such reel to reel music tapes that are being offered for sale on EBay.
Of course, old reel to reel tape recorders are also being offered for sale there.
--
Steven L.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 19:54:23 -0500, "Steven L."

People do seem to be selling them. I guess I can try that. Mostly the 7" reels that I have are concert radio broadcasts or stuff like that. The reels held up very well, mostly Maxell. I'm generally copying them onto a hard drive prior to getting rid of them and there is very little residue ending up on the heads so they don't seem to be degrading. And all are at least 20 years old.
What is particularly interesting is that people seem to be getting hundreds of dollars for old master and safety reels. I have quite a few of those (10") that I once salvaged from a recording studio that went out of business. I picked through them and kept the ones that had stuff on them that I recognized. Something like 20 takes of "Walk On By" and old Murray the K promo spots. Those probably are worth money. I guess I'd better get busy.

Then you may be holding irreplaceable history, which completely changes things. I'd try to find someone who knows what you've got before I'd rush to sell. -----
- gpsman
On Feb 19, 11:07 am, "Stormin Mormon"

Real audiophiles know magnetic tape decays.
Which of course is irrelevant, lots of tin ears think they're audiophiles, usually based on the equipment they own. -----
- gpsman
On 2/19/2013 9:44 AM, dgk wrote:

Post a message on Prison Plant and other conspiracy/paranoid nutjob sites, starting with,
"My grandma, Rose Mary Woods, passed away a few years ago and we're only now getting around to cleaning out her things. We found a bunch of old reel-to-reel tapes...."
(You'll know you're old if you get the reference.)

You're giving away your age also unless you are a Watergate nut post Watergate<g>.