how to recharge a whirlpool refrigerator: gd5nhgxkq01

Does anyone know how to recharge whirlpool gd5nhgxkq01 refrigerator? or have a service manual?

What type freon do these units take...r134a, r12, r22, etc?

Reply to
inetquestion

I believe you will need a licensed tech. As I recall you will need to pull a vacuum first and I believe you need a license to buy the stuff.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

First, it's usually R-22 which can't be sold to an unlicensed tech.

Second, refrigerators usually don't have service valves on them. You have to buy clamp on piercing valves.

Third, a refrigerator is a sealed system. If it's low on refrigerant, it's because you have a leak. If you don't fix the leak and keep adding refrigerant, you'll end up diluting the oil and burning up the compressor.

Reply to
Rick-Meister

Ok..I answered one of my on questions, its r134a refrigerant. However as a couple of people already pointed out there are no service ports to be found. If I decide to replace the compressor is there a way to make it easy to vaccum down and add new freon? (such as soldering in a port) Last but not least how much does the system hold?

Reply to
inetquestion

anyone have a suggestion on where to buy a replacement compressor and average prices?

Reply to
inetquestion

I found the compressor online for ~$180. Is this a descent price?

Whirlpool 8201558 Refrigerator Compressor Direct Replacement for Whirlpool Part Number 2212192. Direct Replacement Whirlpool 8201558 $180.15

Reply to
inetquestion

You cannot solder refrigeration lines--they have to be brazed. If you're going to do that, you can braze in service ports. You'll also need a swagging tool (not very expensive). As far as refrigerant capacity, that should be listed on the model/serial number plate or in a service manual. You'll need a very accurate scale to dispense the refrigerant. Too much will acutally reduce cooling. Plus, you'll probably need to add new oil and a filter/dryer.

Did the old compressor blow out? Or is it just leaking? If it's blown out, you'll have to flush the whole system and possibly replace the TMX valve (if it has one)

Reply to
Rick-Meister

Don't waste your time or money. I did a couple of times. When they start having this problem, they are just a money pit, and it's cheaper to get a new one. Or used ones can be had very reasonable.

Just my experience, yours may vary. If you DO decide to try to save this appliance, please keep us posted on how it works out in the long run.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If you have to ask these questions, I doubt you are going to have positive results by trying to fix it yourself. I wouldn't waste the time or money. What happens if it doesn't work, or only works temporarily? You will have thrown that money in the dumper.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

A repairman came out this morning and diagnosed the problem as a starter relay. Before I could come down and speak with him my wife had hurried the guy out the door thinking all was well. I suppose it would have been if the fridge were actually working. I think he should have left me some ky jelly laying around since he charged me $270 to replace a $40 part. I know a guy has to make a living, but that seems high to me for less than 15 minutes on the site. After 30 minutes I touched the line going to the coils and they were as warm...

Reply to
inetquestion

Piercing valve. Says on the name plate sticker.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Most of the times, when the customer says "low on freon" it turns out to be something else that's the problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think the astronauts on the space station just replaced a $200 pump on their toilet. Total charge for the trip comes to several hundred million dollars.

You got off cheap.

Reply to
HeyBub

Have to solder in an access port. $180 is a great price. The weight of freon is on the name plate. If you're willing to buy about $3,000 in tools and equipment, and get your EPA card, we can talk you through the process.

Refrigerators do leak freon sometimes. It's easier to find a service company that does recharges, than to do it yourself.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One came to my house to look at an oven that was on lock and wouldn't release. He charged me $70, and said it "needed everything" and that would be about $500. That included a motherboard and other parts. I pulled the oven, got out the repair sheet from the envelope, unplugged and plugged, and read the error code. The part to replace was $35 online. I fixed it and sent them a registered letter requesting my $70 back or I would go to the local TV station's consumer complaint department. I got the money in less than a week.

BTW, the last used fridge I bought for the garage was $60, and it's still chugging away out there. I bought a nice used one for the house for $200.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You mean he didn't stay long enough to make sure it was working? How rude!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

replying to inetquestion, Douglas L Gray wrote: I need to recharge my whirlpool frig.

Reply to
Douglas L Gray

Thank you for sharing your honey-do list...now get 'r dun!

Reply to
Bob