how to recharge a whirlpool refrigerator: gd5nhgxkq01

Does anyone know how to recharge whirlpool gd5nhgxkq01 refrigerator? or have a service manual?
What type freon do these units take...r134a, r12, r22, etc?
I believe you will need a licensed tech. As I recall you will need to pull a vacuum first and I believe you need a license to buy the stuff.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
First, it's usually R-22 which can't be sold to an unlicensed tech.
Second, refrigerators usually don't have service valves on them. You have to buy clamp on piercing valves.
Third, a refrigerator is a sealed system. If it's low on refrigerant, it's because you have a leak. If you don't fix the leak and keep adding refrigerant, you'll end up diluting the oil and burning up the compressor.

Ok..I answered one of my on questions, its r134a refrigerant. However as a couple of people already pointed out there are no service ports to be found. If I decide to replace the compressor is there a way to make it easy to vaccum down and add new freon? (such as soldering in a port) Last but not least how much does the system hold?

anyone have a suggestion on where to buy a replacement compressor and average prices?

I found the compressor online for ~$180. Is this a descent price?
Whirlpool 8201558 Refrigerator Compressor Direct Replacement for Whirlpool Part Number 2212192. Direct Replacement Whirlpool    8201558    $180.15

If you have to ask these questions, I doubt you are going to have positive results by trying to fix it yourself. I wouldn't waste the time or money. What happens if it doesn't work, or only works temporarily? You will have thrown that money in the dumper.
Steve
Have to solder in an access port. $180 is a great price. The weight of freon is on the name plate. If you're willing to buy about $3,000 in tools and equipment, and get your EPA card, we can talk you through the process.
Refrigerators do leak freon sometimes. It's easier to find a service company that does recharges, than to do it yourself.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Don't waste your time or money. I did a couple of times. When they start having this problem, they are just a money pit, and it's cheaper to get a new one. Or used ones can be had very reasonable.
Just my experience, yours may vary. If you DO decide to try to save this appliance, please keep us posted on how it works out in the long run.
Steve

A repairman came out this morning and diagnosed the problem as a starter relay. Before I could come down and speak with him my wife had hurried the guy out the door thinking all was well. I suppose it would have been if the fridge were actually working. I think he should have left me some ky jelly laying around since he charged me $270 to replace a $40 part. I know a guy has to make a living, but that seems high to me for less than 15 minutes on the site. After 30 minutes I touched the line going to the coils and they were as warm...
inetquestion wrote:

I think the astronauts on the space station just replaced a $200 pump on their toilet. Total charge for the trip comes to several hundred million dollars.
You got off cheap.

One came to my house to look at an oven that was on lock and wouldn't release. He charged me $70, and said it "needed everything" and that would be about $500. That included a motherboard and other parts. I pulled the oven, got out the repair sheet from the envelope, unplugged and plugged, and read the error code. The part to replace was $35 online. I fixed it and sent them a registered letter requesting my $70 back or I would go to the local TV station's consumer complaint department. I got the money in less than a week.
BTW, the last used fridge I bought for the garage was $60, and it's still chugging away out there. I bought a nice used one for the house for $200.
Steve
You mean he didn't stay long enough to make sure it was working? How rude!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus