How to Raise Squshed Carpet Fiber

I have seen several suggestions in the past for this. Could someone review them for me? Thanks. Frank
An apartment manager once told me to use a steam iron (watch the temperature setting!) over a bath towel. Apperantly the heat and steam relax the carpet pad and fibers.
Thanks. I heard about the iron, but the towel is new. Sounds like a good idea.
On 30 Apr 2004 10:09:43 -0700, jmgreen snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mr. Bill) wrote:

Those steam cleaners will often go a great job and your whole carpet gets clean in the process.
Thanks- sounds like a good idea...

For small areas like the indention where a table leg sat, drop an ice cube in the indention and come back tomorrow.
uhh, any ideas why this works? It seems in direct contradiction to the steam heat approach. (Thanks!)
On 3 May 2004 12:54:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Banjo) wrote:

Maybe it's like applying heat and cold to an injury... they both work but for different reasons.
frank1492 wrote:

frank1492 wrote:

Both methods have water in common.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
I suspect the water relaxes the fibers and lets them go back to their original shape.
In any case, it definitely works on my carpet.