How to quiet a home generator?

So in other words, a few years ago when I was working on a car, in a closed shop, exhaust hose attached, but unaware of a hole in the exhaust, I should have known sooner I was poisoning myself?? I realized that I was feeling faint and headed out the door. I don't remembering even getting outside, don't remember opening the heavy shop door. All I remember is a buddy that happened to stop by, finding me sitting, passed out in a snow bank along side the shop. If I had not caught myself feeling faint, or the shop door was farther away, I would not be here today. I noticed nothing untill I felt dizzy. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Isnt KINCH the guy that says WD 40 is SAFE- Safe to even Drink. And of course Tankless water heaters are BOGUS RIPP OFFS KINCH _THE _ GRINCH

Reply to
m Ransley

KINCH the dumb f*ck grinch

Reply to
m Ransley

No, you're missing the whole point, that pCO vs pCO2 in most auto exhaust is so low, that the CO2 has to get to you before the CO will. CO poisoning from auto exhaust is very difficult any more.

Right, you're going to suffer from lethal CO2 anoxia or respiratory depression before CO conentrates enough to poison you. For someone attempting suicide, this is likely to result in a respiratory panic that overrule the cognitive will.

Hardly.

An MSDS is a hysterical, dumbed-down, crisis-management flash card, neither a balanced nor a complete source of information.

Richard J Kinch

Who knows, but sounds consistent with slow CO2 anoxia, CO poisoning.

Did you have any CO symptoms? How fast did you recover, and did you get treatment for CO poisoning (blood levels at an ER)?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

A possible outcome, but not as you say, rather because the pCO vs pCO2 concentration is enormously high for a 1-cyl genset, compared to automobile exhaust, which is what I was addressing.

Silly to base toxicology on MSDSs.

Richard J Kinch

Pish to your trolling grunts. I stand by my original posts. There's always deja.com, as if anyone cared.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Sorry, that should have read, "not CO".

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Never went into the doc, but felt like puking my guts out, never did. I felt real faint for about an hour. I sat outside in the winter air for an hour then went home. I was feeling better, but still pretty sick. Went to bed about two hours after the ordeal, it was around midnight. Still felt like hell the next day, but better than the night before! Just a wiff of auto exhuast still makes me sick to this day. My point to the post is I never felt like I had trouble breathing at any point. I did not notice a thing untill maybe 10 seconds before I dropped. No problems breathing, just all of a sudden felt like somebody punched me! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Sillier still to base it on the words of someone who thinks gasoline is safe to drink, and says borax will kill you but automobile exhaust won't.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well, history is immutable. Either you forgot, or you disagree, that your statement below gives the impression that I described. You say "only in hollywood" can a car kill someone quickly (an hour, which is hardly quick), and the study I posted showed CO at lethal levels in a few minutes in an enclosed garage despite your contention that they are "near zero". Likewise, your use of the term "survival instincts" implies that anyone would have plenty of warning that they were "suffocating" from CO, which contradicts the fact that over 200 people die in the US every year from CO poisiong. Apparently they were born without this survival instinct. Or perhaps CO kills quickly and silently, being odorless and tasteless.

For your reference, here is the exchange. I expect you will reply that my interpretation of your statements is not correct, but I think that most readers can judge for themselves whether I twisted your words or not.

Me:

Rich:

Me:

Rich:

Reply to
Jamie

This is just distortion and misquoting from someone with a chip on the shoulder, and I have no interest in responding to it.

CO concentration in most automobile exhaust is below the tens or hundreds of ppm that cause serious symptoms. Auto exhaust is wet CO2 that can kill you, but not from CO poisoning.

Statistics on CO deaths involve "unvented kerosene and gas space heaters; leaking chimneys and furnaces; back-drafting from furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces; gas stoves; generators and other gasoline powered equipment; [and only lastly] automobile exhaust from attached garages; and tobacco smoke. [!]"

Richard J Kinch

Whatever... I included, verbatim, the original exchange so I fail to see how I could be misquoting. Likewise, if you have no interest in responding to me, why did you? You have truly mastered the art of self-contradiction on that one. But really -- I have no chip on my shoulder, just a desire to set the record straight in the face of potentially dangerous misinformation.

I already posted an actual study, by an actual university using actual measurment equipment, that measured CO emissions from an automobile in a typical garage setting, that contradicts your unreferenced and unsupported statement that auto exhaust doesn't contain enough CO to kill you. I don't think I need to post it again. On the other hand your reference here to EPA's web site merely proves that people die from other sources as well as cars, which I do not dispute. However, we are talking about cars.

If you're just troll>

Reply to
Jamie

You, for example, paraphrased me as saying, "it's OK to run your car in the garage with the door shut".

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

That's perfectly safe as long as you drink enough WD-40.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Yeah, but the toxicity of a given amount of CO is much higher than CO2, and CO _accumulates_ in the body, whereas CO2 does not. You can live quite handily in 5% CO2 as long as you want. Whereas, 200ppm of CO (.02% if I have the zeros right) will _eventually_ kill you.

As for automotive exhaust issues, the statistics seem to refute your position.

check out

for example.

Do some google searching.

If that were the only thing you could base it on, yeah, but it's not as if the facts in the MSDS for CO2 or CO are in doubt.

There's not exactly a dearth of confirmation in more scientific circles.

So one silly MSDS kills the whole thing eh?

Watch out for DHMO!

Chris Lewis

No shortness of breath. Not slow CO2 anoxia.

Much more consistent with CO.

Reply to
Chris Lewis