How to quiet a home generator?

Page 3 of 3
Sorry, my mistake. But regardless, CO can kill you very quickly... even from a car, with a catalytic converter, and certainly from a generator which probably doesn't have one. The risk should never be understated.

Jamie writes:

Yes, a 1-cylinder B&S/Tecumseh/Kohler/etc is typically far worse than a modern auto engine as regards emissions.

I disagree. That philosophy leads to those user manuals that start with 10 pages of warnings that nobody reads. Rear-view mirrors that warn you about things appearing smaller. Caution should be proportioned to risk. Cf the boy who cried wolf. Probability, hazards, and risks are about the hardest intellectual concepts going; we ought not to be burdening people with any more than they need.
I agree with your sentiment. But I think it is irresponsible to (basically) tell people that it's OK to run your car in the garage with the door shut because the emissions are virtually zero. Did you read the link I posted earlier, which contained a very revealing analysis of the amount of CO produced by a car started in an enclosed garage? It does not support your position that this is a negligible risk.

to drink gasoline, but borax is a deadly poison. Just Google some of his previous posts in this ng and you'll see.
Doug Miller writes:

I explained how both are hazardous but by different routes, and not so hazardous by others. A mocking response to this rather simple concept betrays a childish habit of mind.

It is a fact that you once stated in this ng that the hydrocarbons in gasoline are safe to drink.
It is also a fact that you claimed that borax is a deadly poison.
It is likewise a fact that when I posted LD50 figures that showed otherwise, you claimed I was wrong, but never responded when challenged to provide the correct figures.
In this thread you have claimed that the levels of CO in automobile exhaust are not particularly harmful (I admit I'm paraphrasing, but I think I've captured the gist of it).
If anything, your statements seem to deserve much more mocking than they have received so far.
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 01:04:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

AMEN!
BB
Isnt KINCH the guy that says WD 40 is SAFE- Safe to even Drink. And of course Tankless water heaters are BOGUS RIPP OFFS KINCH _THE _ GRINCH
Doug Miller writes:

Pish to your trolling grunts. I stand by my original posts. There's always deja.com, as if anyone cared.
Jamie writes:

It would be irresponsible to twist my words to that effect.

Well, history is immutable. Either you forgot, or you disagree, that your statement below gives the impression that I described. You say "only in hollywood" can a car kill someone quickly (an hour, which is hardly quick), and the study I posted showed CO at lethal levels in a few minutes in an enclosed garage despite your contention that they are "near zero". Likewise, your use of the term "survival instincts" implies that anyone would have plenty of warning that they were "suffocating" from CO, which contradicts the fact that over 200 people die in the US every year from CO poisiong. Apparently they were born without this survival instinct. Or perhaps CO kills quickly and silently, being odorless and tasteless.
For your reference, here is the exchange. I expect you will reply that my interpretation of your statements is not correct, but I think that most readers can judge for themselves whether I twisted your words or not.
Me:

Rich:
Me:
Rich:
Jamie writes:

This is just distortion and misquoting from someone with a chip on the shoulder, and I have no interest in responding to it.
CO concentration in most automobile exhaust is below the tens or hundreds of ppm that cause serious symptoms. Auto exhaust is wet CO2 that can kill you, but not from CO poisoning.
Statistics on CO deaths involve "unvented kerosene and gas space heaters; leaking chimneys and furnaces; back-drafting from furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces; gas stoves; generators and other gasoline powered equipment; [and only lastly] automobile exhaust from attached garages; and tobacco smoke. [!]" (http://www.epa.gov/iaq/co.html)
Whatever... I included, verbatim, the original exchange so I fail to see how I could be misquoting. Likewise, if you have no interest in responding to me, why did you? You have truly mastered the art of self-contradiction on that one. But really -- I have no chip on my shoulder, just a desire to set the record straight in the face of potentially dangerous misinformation.
I already posted an actual study, by an actual university using actual measurment equipment, that measured CO emissions from an automobile in a typical garage setting, that contradicts your unreferenced and unsupported statement that auto exhaust doesn't contain enough CO to kill you. I don't think I need to post it again. On the other hand your reference here to EPA's web site merely proves that people die from other sources as well as cars, which I do not dispute. However, we are talking about cars.
If you're just trolling... well, you got me good, but I'm enjoying honing my google skills to challenge your unbelievable "facts". My last day of work is Friday, gotta fill the day somehow!! ;-)

Jamie writes:

You, for example, paraphrased me as saying, "it's OK to run your car in the garage with the door shut".

That's perfectly safe as long as you drink enough WD-40.
BB
During the last power cut, I was careful to run my generator only during "waking" hours. I live in a trailer park, and don't want to do that to my neighbors.
My thoughts with the original poster's generator is to get a longer cord, and put it out in some bushes. Auto muffler won't do much good.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You can make a generator "bunker" with sandbags around the generator to absorb and deflect sound away.
A larger muffler as mentioned previously would most likely help to reduce exhaust noise, some type of enclosure could reduce the mechanical noise.