how to pump water from garden

have a situation I need some advise on. Have a vegetable garden area that floods every spring and often takes weeks to dry out, so always late getting things planted. Would like to find a way to pump the water from this area.. How can I do it............the area is just dirt and no grass. Is there a way to put in sump with pump? how to filter to pump water and not mud?
snipped-for-privacy@ourgang.com writes:

Easiest, raised beds.
Otherwise, dig deep, install drainage pipes, backhoe. Probably you'd need a pro.
--
Dan Espen

On Friday, May 16, 2014 2:31:53 PM UTC-4, net cop wrote:

In addition, who even knows without some pics, more info. If it's a 20 x 20 spot and it has a natural low spot, just a sump pump with basin could work.

Do you have any property down hill from it? Dig a ditch.
There are such things as dirty water pumps but I have no idea how dirty the water can be before they shout, "ENOUGH already!".
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 5/16/2014 3:55 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Up to 2" solids for many dirty enough you reckon? Altho I expect they're out of the budget OP would have in mind.
Sounds like what needs to do is tile it like they do in Iowa and the like for field drains.

If there is free water standing in that garden, it's because the elevation of the water table is above the ground elevation there. Putting in a pump isn't a good idea because you'll be pumping the high water out of the entire county. The water from your neighbor's yards are going to drain into your yard as long as your pump is lowering the water level in your yard.
A better fix would be to measure how deep the water is, do some basic arithmetic and figure out how many cubic yards of top soil you need to have your garden soil level about a foot above the water table elevation. That means you'd have to dig down a foot in your garden to reach the free water level.
Basically, the proper solution is to raise your garden, not lower the water.
--
nestork

On 5/16/2014 7:09 PM, nestork wrote:

Don't know that at all. It's far more than likely a low catchment area than water table.
If it wuz me, I'd probably use those interlocking bricks or blocks to build a wall around your garden to contain the soil so that it doesn't spread out all over the place. It might be a good idea to anchor them down somehow cuz I'm thinking they simply won't weigh as much when they're submerged, and that could cause the wall to come apart.
--
nestork

dpb;3236554 Wrote:

I guess it'd be easy enough to confirm. Just use an old soup can to bail the water out of the garden into some 5 gallon pails, and see if the water comes back tomorrow. If it does, it's the water table, and you can't fight with it.
--
nestork

that

getting

area..

there a

Plant rice.
On Fri, 16 May 2014 18:02:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ourgang.com wrote:

Grow rice.
On 5/16/2014 1:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ourgang.com wrote:

Pony Pump
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Electric/115V-Pony-Pump/5771233.p
Self priming. Use a garden hose with a screen filter on the suction side. Lay the end of the suction hose in the deepest water. You just have to be careful and not let the pump run dry for very long.
LdB