How to pump the gas out of auto gas tank?

I'm just saying I would replace the tank ASAP if I had to 'fix' it. It would be cheaper if not safer IMO.

Reply to
Eagle

Didn't know that. But then, I've never owned a Honda generator. Who knows? Maybe I'll need such a vacuum pump some day.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I dont know how you figure it would be cheaper to replace the tank. A tank costs close to $150. A tube of JB Weld costs $5.

But yes, I do plan to fix it soon. It's not safe and it's costing me money for lost gas, even though I dont think I'm losing much. The hole is probably on the top or upper side, and splashing makes small amounts leak. There are no actual drips. I only smell the gas odor after I drive it. If it's parked overnight, there is no odor. I've been keeping the gas level at no more than a quarter of a tank, and I carry a 5 gallon container of gas in case I run low, bcause in this rural area, a person may have to drive 25 miles to find a gas station, and it's even worse at night, because a lot of small town gas stations close at 9 or 10pm or midnight.

Reply to
Paintedcow

I'm just saying I would replace it, you can JB weld the leak and get a few more months of use out of it, and either replace it, or get a new ride, yes? Without going back to see what you're driving, what are you driving?

Reply to
Eagle

Like I said before, I have had JB Weld hold for years. But it depends on how bad the leak is and how the rest of the tank looks. If it's all pitted, I'll replace it, because it will soon leak elsewhere. But the JB Weld spot wont leak, I know that from experience.

It's a 95 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup. It's in good shape for it's age. Aside from brakes, tires, belts, battery, filters and a new radiator, it been trouble free. And I had to replace the blower motor and fix the wiring to that blower too. It recently needed a tuneup, cuz the dist cap was cracked, but all of that is normal wear and tear. At the same time, I wont keep it forever, so if I can fix the tank, I will.

The only thing I did not like about this truck are those damn side mirrors on the doors. Three times they have broken off, just because someone walked against them. I finally rigged up some generic mirrors that have SOLID mounting, not cheap assed pot metal. And, the rear bumpers all rust out. I was forced to replace mine after I jackknifed a hay wagon and destroyed what was left to that rusty thing. I found a solid used one on Craigslist, from a newer model. But I had to modify the brackets a bit.

Reply to
Paintedcow