In the old days, I would have used a siphon, but the old method of sucking it out with one's mouth is NOT an option. I did that when I was young and stupid and got gas in my mouth. I know they sell (or used to sell?) siphon pumps (a rubber squeeze bubble in a hose), but wonder if I can get it into the tank, since modern tanks have that little nozzle flapper in them????
* Of course I'll let the the gas level get low before I attempt this....
Any other suggestions???
On 2015-12-06 4:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I had the gas smell in a car once, it turns out is was an old dirty partly clogged fuel filter.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 16:50:13 -0500, FrozenNorth

I just replaced the filter last week, because the engine was running rough. That's when I looked for leaking gas around the tank and did not see any noticable leaks. Yet the gas odor continues.
*The rough engine situation was later found to be a bad distributor cap. Besides the dist cap, I replaced the rotor and spark plugs too.
On 2015-12-06 5:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Ok, it was worth a shot.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
I got one of these things (Amazon.com product link shortened) to facilitate oil changes on my generators.
Been meaning to try using it to get some gas out of my F-150's tank....
I'm hoping maybe the hose is narrow enough to get past whatever is in the filler neck that stops siphon hoses.
It would certainly improve the generator fuel-storage situation.
Anybody tried something like this ?
--
Pete Cresswell

The concept is right.... Air powered is safe, but will it work, and can the hose get into the tank????
On 12/6/2015 4:57 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I've found that small engines generally have an oil drain plug. I'd be using that instead of a suction rig. Gets the oil more completely, drains to the last drop.
Years ago, I saw a picture of some vehicle's anti siphon lock. It's a ball in a cage, and even small hose like this won't do.
Sounds like $46.50 spent on a good idea, but not going to get much use from it. Sorry.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

It's quite useful for my Honda gennies - both for draining fuel from the tanks and pulling oil from the crankcases. Convenience of oil change is not a strong point of Honda generators....
--
Pete Cresswell

On 12/6/2015 8:23 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Didn't know that. But then, I've never owned a Honda generator. Who knows? Maybe I'll need such a vacuum pump some day.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yep, I pulled the old tank and installed a 10 gallon aluminum tank in the truck bed.

You must be a REDNECK of your gas tank is in the truck bed! <LOL>
Unless you have an old truck with a carburetor and mechnical fuel pump on the engine, you have an "in the tank" fuel pump. How did you rig up the fuel pump on a removable tank? Besides the electrical wires to operate the pump, and for the gas gauge, you have a fuel line, return fuel line, and probably a vent line. (Total, 3 lines, at least 3 wires).
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc submitted this idea :

Think 1968 Chevrolet C-10 truck with a short box. Got the picture? Now, think 632 ci big block, fuel injection, 2 speed auto trans with a 5K rpm converter with a trans brake, narrowed 9" ford pumkin with 16" Hoosiers. Who needs a 20 gallon gas tank behind the seat? :')
On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 01:17:14 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I guess you've never heard of "fraim rail mounted fuel injection pumps"? Commonly available aftermarket/racong part - also very common Bosch OEM part - also used on quite a few earlier Nipponsenso EFI systems, and some Hitachi systems.
On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 15:41:07 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

If you are going to replace the tank, just put a screwdriver through the bottom of the tank and drain into a pan.

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 17:59:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I wont know this until I empty it and inspect it. If it's all rusted out, I'll replace it. But if there is just a pin hole, a little JB Weld will fix it.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc used his keyboard to write :

That would be a temp fix, but you should replace it asap.

I've repaired gas tanks in the past with JB Weld, and never had it fail. Normally if the tank is still solid, but has surface rust, I will sand off the rust, then coat the rust (or the whole tank) with undercoating, before I reinstall it. If I have to buy a new tank, I'll probably spray it with undercoating too.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc used his keyboard to write :

I'm just saying I would replace the tank ASAP if I had to 'fix' it. It would be cheaper if not safer IMO.

I dont know how you figure it would be cheaper to replace the tank. A tank costs close to $150. A tube of JB Weld costs $5.
But yes, I do plan to fix it soon. It's not safe and it's costing me money for lost gas, even though I dont think I'm losing much. The hole is probably on the top or upper side, and splashing makes small amounts leak. There are no actual drips. I only smell the gas odor after I drive it. If it's parked overnight, there is no odor. I've been keeping the gas level at no more than a quarter of a tank, and I carry a 5 gallon container of gas in case I run low, bcause in this rural area, a person may have to drive 25 miles to find a gas station, and it's even worse at night, because a lot of small town gas stations close at 9 or 10pm or midnight.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc formulated on Monday :

I'm just saying I would replace it, you can JB weld the leak and get a few more months of use out of it, and either replace it, or get a new ride, yes? Without going back to see what you're driving, what are you driving?