how to protect tractor rims from wheel weights scuffing?

Hi all,
I have a Cub Cadet 1864, which has some pretty standard 12" rims. I recently bought a set of wheel weights on Ebay. The weights actually came off a John Deere- I had checked in advance to make sure they fit.
Anyhow, I am almost done changing the color of the wheel weights from JD green to CC white. My question is, what do some of you do to keep your rims (as well as weights) from getting paint chips or scuffs from the metal to metal contact where the two objects touch? My weights will touch the outside part of the rim, not the inside where the rim mounts on the hub.
I was thinking that I might try tying an old bicycle tube around the wheel weight before installing in on the rims.
I'm putting a link to the ebay auction so you can get an idea of what the wheel weights look like.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemw04675444&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Thanks much,
David
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

They're for usin', not lookin'...
i enjoy usin', but i also like to keep my things lookin' nice and lastin' long without rustin' up.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Worryin' over what can't be helped gets in the way of usin'... :)
Re-read original post (age is a terrible thing :) ) and now wonder--if you're talking about the outside diameter of the weight rubbing agains the inside diameter of the rim, not the mounting holes, then the weights are too large for the wheel--they shouldn't touch.
No, not quite talking about that. Hard to describe them. Trust me, they are the proper size, but they aren't completely flat. I'll have to take a picture to show.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Well, ok...most are formed to specifically match the contour of the wheel on which they're intended to fit--if you're putting a set of JD OEM weights on a Cub, I don't doubt they don't fit as well as they would if you had a set of (C?)-IH weights designed for the purpose...
Cut up an old inner tube, and make a spacer out of it.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

I never worried about the paint behind the wheel weights.