how to protect pipes if no heat?

Page 2 of 2

peter wrote:

The best way ... basically same as a cottage, drain the system (switch off that now empty electric water heater), put antifreeze in the toilet(s). FWIW, my water tanks are in the basement and have drains on the bottom ... can't imagine a tank that doesn't have some means of draining ... e.g. for replacement. A short length of garden hose to the floor drain and I can drain the system ... which I've done to install new copper lines in the basement.

Backwards. You have to switch it off BEFORE you empty it. If it runs without water covering the elements, it will quickly burn them out. Less than 5 minutes I think. Maybe less than one?

Ask your water utility. We do not know whether you are in Wisconsin or Mississippi.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

What about Saskatchewan?
Anyone that interested in proving a point is hiding some sort of benevolent agenda. "Don't listen to anyone else or the internet, listen to me" screams 'control issue'.
But, I'm not a psychologist...so this is just my experience, I'm not going to come back and start arguing that you're a "control freak" simply because it's good form as I'm not a professional experienced in fixing control freaks.

What????? :-) I'm not telling anyone NOT to garner advice on the web. I'm saying it's not a good idea to ignore actual experience. This is the damage done by the web: Fear of experimentation, failure to consider why a non-standard technique may work, and a complete distrust of personal experience. How did some people gather knowledge before the web existed and there were no links to so-called experts, many of whom are no more "expert" than you or I?
it was directed at the opposite side of the argument...

It was hard to tell, but that was me. Doing too many things at once.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

It's hard for me to tell what he's talking about too, because I never said don't listen to anyone else, or the internet. In fact, I provided several internet links to useful information and even asked for links to information that said otherwise.

From what I can see, you implied that what worked for me actually did NOT work.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

What I said was opening all the faucets and then just turning off the main valve without draining the water from the system was not the correct and accepted way to winterize a house subjected to freezing temps. And I provided supporting links. Could someone do it that way and not have the pipes burst? Sure. The pipes also may not have burst had you done nothing. Or you could now have a weakened pipe with a bulge somewhere in a wall.
Could someone not change their engine oil for 50K miles and still have it work OK? Or could someone live in a house with an incorrectly vented gas heater and not die of CO? Sure, but does that doesn't make it an OK and acceptable practice.