How to protect a wood trailer floor

I have a trailer I bought new a couple years ago. It has 2 X 6 floor boards. I want to protect these so they will last as long as possible.
Last year I used Thompson's Water sealer (Since then I have been told this is about the poorest brand but got no suggestions on the best brand). The wood soaked up the sealer pretty fast. I ended up putting four coats on over the course of a week. This year, the wood looks as dry as before.
The trailer sits outside all the time. The two paint stores I asked for suggestions just suggested water sealant, which didn't do much for me.
Is there some product such as an oil, wax, or whatever that would be good in this application?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Bob-tx
Bob wrote:

A tarp OVER the trailer would be a big help...

thompsons works great, recoat every couple years for best protection and dont forget to coat the underside.
I echo the tarp, rain AND SUN attack wood, tarp will protect from both, leave space so airflow occurs otherwise wood will saturate.
Bob,
I second Joe's suggestion but think boat paint is overkill. Prime and paint with some exterior paint.
Dave M.

I like overkill, especially when it involves someone else's money. :-)
Bob wrote:

The whole point of using 2 X 6 trailer decking is for ease of replacement when a board gets damaged as equipment trailer decks tend to get damaged by causes other than water / rot rather frequently.
Pete C.
what would using that trex decking stuff do? if there is enough support underneath.
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:14:12 -0500, "readandpostrosie"

Add expense.

-- Oren

NEVER PUT OIL ON ANY FLOORING. Makes it slick and almost unusable.
http://www.armorthane.com/HTML/armordeck.htm
I'd get something like that and follow the instructions of the product.
Thanks, looks like something that would work. I'll check it out. Bob-tx
wrote:

NEVER PUT OIL ON ANY FLOORING. Makes it slick and almost unusable.
http://www.armorthane.com/HTML/armordeck.htm
I'd get something like that and follow the instructions of the product.
I would not lose sleep over these boards. Replacing them is not too expensive. Go to home depot and ask if they have some "oops" deck sealant and use it.
There is certainly nothing wrong with Thompsons. But it doesn't last forever in the sun. Twice a year with a garden sprayer should keep the wood lasting a long time.
--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
That sounds like a good suggestion to check out. Thanks
I'm wondering about paint intended for wooden boat hulls, since it's intended to be UNDER water. You might run this idea past people in rec.boats.
Diesel and hydraulic fluid really help preserve the wood, but you might not like the initial smell, once soaked into the boards it is not slippery. Look at any backhoe or equipment trailer for well preserved wood where the fluids drip. Cut boiled linseed oil 50-50 with paint thinner and swab generously over several days would be a more citified method.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .