How to properly use a hammer on nails?

Page 3 of 3
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

That is the best simple idea I've heard in quite some time. Thanks.

I just bought a couple of new hammers ($2.99 each at HF) with heads so smooth you could comb your mustache by using them as mirrors.
I'm gonna take my Dremel and carve a waffle pattern on the faces.
At 2.99 each, you're not ruining much. If I caught you grinding the face of one of my hammers, you might not survive. You will destroy the case hardening and make a good club out of them.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG wrote:

They were regularly $3.99, but on sale. Does that make a difference?

Yes, you wasted one less dollar.
Unless you are buying a tool for a one time throw away thing, it does not pay to save a couple of dollars buying substandard tools.
Those $ 4.00 hammers may be ok to drive in a couple of small nails for hanging pictures and such, but to drive a real nail to anchor a couple of 2x4s you need a good hammer.
Ralph Mowery wrote:

But I use nails made in China, so it averages out.
The trick is to sharpen the nails with a grinder before driving them. Cheap grinder is okay.

Time for you to get an Li Ion impact driver and find out how much hard work you can avoid. Makita (my favorite), Bosch, Milwaukee and DeWalt and many other manufacturers have them in up to 18V. What makes them so useful is the very compact size. You should definitely go for Torx or star drive screws or square drive if your sources for Torx are limited. If your budget is modest, check out Harbor Frieght, of course. By the time you have had your impact driver for a while, your hammer will be used mostly for breaking rocks or smashing beer cans <G>. If you need to build or repair a deck, the ID is the way to go.Even the big hairy construction screws seem to just melt into the wood. It is real easy to drive the screws too deep, so some practice is advised at first. And although screws do tend to pull wood pieces together well. sometimes it helps to pop a clamp on the work until it is well placed. Bottom line, the ID is exactly the tool you need for your project.
Joe
Joe
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:25:21 -0500, "MiamiCuse"

Drilling a pilot hole will make hammering less frustrating. Even the pros sometimes hit a knot, bend a nail, miss the head, etc. Not done often but you can "tune up" a hammer a little: flatten the face, secure the head, repair the grip, etc. There are times a clamp can be used (instead of a hammer) to drive a nail home. Another alternative is to use a 90-degree chuck to drive screws in close places. Consider square head deck screws.

If you like new tools, yesterday at Sears I saw a new Craftsman tool that hammers, its about 12" x 2 wide and round.
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:25:21 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
IN addition to lag bolts, there are lag screws.

Wait till you try box nails someday :-)
hold the nail with your thumb on the nail head... think "carefull,,,carefull"..swing hammer.. DOH!!!!