How to properly dispose of CFLs

Page 1 of 3
Mail them to your congressman! (Perhaps with a note "You know what you can do with this!"?)
The author goes on in a mini-rant, but his basic idea has merit.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/259616/another-dud-dim-bulb-greens-steven-f-hayward
Good question. In my area: http://www.northhempsteadny.gov/content/7352/7123/7215/4435/5474.aspx Fourth on the list.
In yours: The City of Houston will accept fluorescent light bulbs and tubes from residents at the North and South Environmental Service Centers and the Westpark Consumer Recycling Center.
For more information and directions found via the links below... ESC North 5614 Neches, Building C ZIP Code 77026
ESC South 11500 South Post Oak ZIP Code 77035
Westpark CRC 5900 Westpark ZIP Code 77057
RicodJour wrote:

Why would I take a burned-out (or whatever keeps them from functioning) CFL to my recycling center when I could mail it to my congressman along with a note saying "You know what you can do with this!"
HeyBub wrote:

To prove you are smarter than a brick??

== Better to waste $5 on fuel to recycle a bulb which cost $2.50...what a system...how can one lose? Better to save them up until you have a box full and ship them all to your elected rep who helped pass the stupid laws that supposedly saved the environment and energy costs by the banning of most incandescent bulbs. ==

What do you do with your waste batteries, oil, paints, pesticides, medicines, etc? It's no big deal to have a hazardous material recycling container and deal with the stuff appropriately. Within a couple or three years there will be a light bulb deposit instituted. Might as well get in the habit now.
RicodJour wrote:

Some do the following:
* Batteries - sold for lead scrap * Oil - lubricate the storm drains * Paints - in the trash * Pesticides - leave in schoolyard at midnight (same with refrigerators, dented propane tanks, etc.) * Medicines - in the trash or toilet
Some people do not understand what the city's "Solid Waste Disposal" department is supposed to do. If the item is "solid" and is "waste" the city presumably knows how to "dispose" of it. Some people, again, hold that when the city is incapable, incompetent, or unable, the fix belongs to the city.

When you talk all I hear is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTWz5HBPh14

I like the song, but it makes no sense.

WTH!!!??? Do you _really_ think that the SWD picks through your garbage sorting it prior to disposal? Put hazardous waste in your can, that is last time it will be seen - goes straight to the dumping site.
Harry K

Are you really this gullible.
On Feb 13, 10:17am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

When it comes to Hey bub, anything is possible. Mostly way out there wierd as in that posting.
Harry K

Nah, with Bub if it's really out there, look down at your leg. Someone has a firm hold on it.

You need to translate his posts. It will make more sense that way. I'll give you an example.
"Robble robblerobble robble. Robble robblerobblerobble robblerobble, robble robble "robblerobble". Robble robble."
I hope that helps clear things up for you. One 'robble' is all you'll ever need to glean as much as possible from his posting.

After all this time I am still waiting for him to _ever_ make sense. Haven't seen him do it yet.
Harry K

You might think so, but it's not illegal to go through someone's trash. There is no presumption of privacy once the bag goes on a public right-of-way. That's why they make shredders.
<...>
On 2/13/2011 11:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

That's why it's fun to print fake top secret documents and toss them in the trash to see who's going through your garbage. Nosy neighbors are a lot of fun to mess with. They will run to the police to report that you are a secret agent for a nonexistent government. I actually had a guy call the police when I asked him not to tell anyone where I lived, he thought he was going to get a reward. :-)
TDD

You would be correct if you tossed your crammed container from a moving car in the dead of night. But maybe not otherwise.
I said "interesting" because there's some ambivalence in the courts. While it is true the authorities can search without a warrant that which has been abandoned, if the (municipal) government requires you to put your trash in a can or bag and place your trash in a certain location, that's not the same as "abandoning."
If, then, the cops can go through your stuff, their rummaging is the equivalent of a 5th Amendment violation - you are being required to incriminate yourself. An incriminating document in a city-mandated trash bag is exactly the same as being in a safe in your home. The cops have to get a warrant. Or so the 9th Circuit has ruled.
On the other hand, if the person doing the scavenging is not affiliated with the government, say a reporter or private detective, you have a whole 'nother matter. Again, if the city requires you to surrender your wet nasties to the city, then the reporter or private eye is STEALING from either you or the city and is, as my Indian neighbor says, in "heap big trouble."

Not so. It's open season on trash. No warrants needed. You *have* abandoned it.

No, you're not required to put incriminating evidence in the trash. You can shred it, burn it, bury it, hoard it, or put it in your neighbor's trash after midnight.

There have been many cases to the contrary. Again, that's why shredders have become common.

Generally, you are correct. The Supreme Court ruled in California v Greenwood (1988) that there is no expectation of privacy when trash is put out to the curb, that a warrant was not needed.
If, however, the trash receptacle is on your property, the cops can't search without a warrant. The California Supreme Court (in re Robert Edwards et al) ruled that searching a trash can in the defendant's back yard was an unreasonable search. There are cities in which the trash collectors enter your back yard to retrieve your trash bags. Your consent to have the sanitation workers enter your yard to retrieve your gabage does not extend to trespass by police.
Some cities have made it illegal for anyone to tamper with containers of recyclables. Some enterprising souls were emptying resident's recycle bins (put out for collection) in order to bulk-sale the cans.
As to your observation that there are other ways to protect your privacy (shredding, etc.), there is no requirement under the 4th Amendment against unlawful searches or the 5th Amendment guarantee against self-incrimination that you do so. These protections are not voided by the authorities claiming you did not use the most secure method.

Notice that I said "public right-of-way", above. Once the sanitation worker brings the bag to the truck, bingo, the cops are all over it like, well... ;-)

No, but that wasn't the point. There is *no* expectation of privacy WRT garbage, so be warned to use a shredder, or other method to make it private.
On a slightly different tack, you *are* required to incriminate yourself under search warrant, by giving the keys (physical or logical/encryption) to a filing cabinet so they can search it.