How to proceed with demolition?

Hi,

We friends and I have demolished most of our old bathroom but we are not sure how to proceed with the floor. The following picture provides the view from where the bathtub used to be. What are we looking at here? Is it wetbed on top of something else? Should all of it be removed and if so, what's the best tool for doing that?

Many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Been there, done that, except that my pipes were under the subfloor, so I only had about 2.5 inches of mud to remove.

I just chipped away with a hammer and chisel, hauling bucket after bucket out to the curb, until it was gone. I had a plaster stippled ceiling below the bathroom so I was no more agressive with my pounding than I had to be. Luckily nothing happend to the ceiling below. Keep that in mind if you have a similiar situation.

Obviously, be careful around the pipes - is that a gas pipe in the center?

Looks to me like when you're done you are going to have to frame a new subfloor over the existing one to conceal the pipes. Keep in mind the height of your finish material as you figure out how to frame the floor. Getting the height right with a mud base is "easy", but if you are going to use "modern" building materials (i.e. 2 byes, plywood and cement board) the thicknesses of all those materials will have to be considered right from the start.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Aaron-

Reply to