How to proceed with demolition?

Hi,
We friends and I have demolished most of our old bathroom but we are not sure how to proceed with the floor. The following picture provides the view from where the bathtub used to be. What are we looking at here? Is it wetbed on top of something else? Should all of it be removed and if so, what's the best tool for doing that?
http://freeboundaries.com/close.jpg
Many thanks in advance!
Aaron Fude

Been there, done that, except that my pipes were under the subfloor, so I only had about 2.5 inches of mud to remove.
I just chipped away with a hammer and chisel, hauling bucket after bucket out to the curb, until it was gone. I had a plaster stippled ceiling below the bathroom so I was no more agressive with my pounding than I had to be. Luckily nothing happend to the ceiling below. Keep that in mind if you have a similiar situation.
Obviously, be careful around the pipes - is that a gas pipe in the center?
Looks to me like when you're done you are going to have to frame a new subfloor over the existing one to conceal the pipes. Keep in mind the height of your finish material as you figure out how to frame the floor. Getting the height right with a mud base is "easy", but if you are going to use "modern" building materials (i.e. 2 byes, plywood and cement board) the thicknesses of all those materials will have to be considered right from the start.

Aaron-
If its like the bathroom floors in my 1930 house......the mudbed is on top of a very weak, crappy mortar / debris layer that they use to bring up the floor level.
To demo the floor I would suggest a demolition hammer (Hilti, etc) with flat chisel blade. Attach the floor between the two layers at a shallow angle. The mud / tile layer break up & then you remove the crap layer.
You could also use a single jack & a chisel.
The crap layer in my floor had very little strength; mortar, wood chips, broken tile, misc constrcution debris.
My mud / tile layer was about 1.5"....the crap layer was about 2.5"
My suggestion is remove everything down to the "subfloor" & then remove it as well. Currently it is nothing more than short pieces of 1x held in place by 1x cleats. This system gives you a discontinuous subfloor.....not very stiff, not much support for you tile.
Replace with plywood. Then use wonderboard or float a proper base.
That notched joist is pretty sad. I would sister in new joists (taking into account your finish floor reconstruction method) re-route the fresh water through drilled holes, not notches. And re-inforce around the necessary notch for copper drain line (?) with reversed notched plywood (or aluminum) sisters
Of course if you've got a closely spaced support framing beneath the joist....all this sistering maybe be unneeded.
cheers Bob