How to Prevent Mice in the toaster

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@nospammm.com wrote:

You need to get some poison for the little critters. They love Decon and those green blocks to chew on.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

replying to dannydee, MCG wrote:

Until we can build a mouse proof toaster vault, I have been placing a heavy cookbook on top of the toaster when it is not in use. I also sprinkle peppermint oil on cotton pads and place them in my food prep and storage areas. This makes my life with mice more tolerable while we continue to plug the holes in this old house.

Maybe if you stopped using Google Groups you wouldn't be replying to threads last opened in 2008.
--
Dan Espen

On 1/26/2015 12:36 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Google Gropers seldom see the light.
On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:44:02 +0000, MCG

This may be an old thread, but the problem still exists. I really can relate to the OP, since I live in the country and while I am getting every hole sealed and even applying hardware cloth under the floor, I still get a mouse every so often. And I have to admit they make me pretty panicky too when they are indoors. Yea, I know they dont bite people, but the thought of having one run across my foot (barefooted), is reason to be uncomfortable (this really happened to me once). And the possibility of having one run across my body while I'm asleep, makes it even more reason.... The amount of damage they do, alone, is a reason to get rather panicky. I've had colthing ruined, my toolbox filled with debris and shit, my silverware drawer full of shit, and so on.... Mice are destructive, damaging, and just plain nasty.
I too have had them in my toaster, and yea, I toss the toaster in the trash too. I finally found a method to keep them out. I got one of those large cookie or candy tins (often sold for the winter hilidays). The toaster just fit in it, even though the toaster was standing on it's side when the tin was upright. I planned to build a wooden box with tight door, but I got to think about safety. Using wood is a fire hazzard, because when someone is in a hurry to leave for work in the morning, they dont have time to wait for the toaster to cool. So either it's stuffed in the box hot, or left out till after work, and by that time the mouse is having a feast.
Then I found an old metal bread box at a second hand store. The toaster fit well! But the lift up door was real easy to lift, and I figured that a determined mouse could probably get into it. A small cabinet latch and a few small nuts with bolts solved that.
I have never seen any store made covers for toasters. I do agree they should make a toaster that has a lid that can cover the openings with a simple lever.
Not just a BETTER MOUSE TRAP, but a BETTER TOASTER!

next time you throw out your toaster, replace it with a toaster oven?
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com writes:

Nothing works better than a cat.

Gee. I guess you guys never had pet mice. I had one I captured outdoors. Carried it around in a little box for a few days. They are really cute, they'll climb up your sleeve and come out at your neck. Then climb up through your hair.
Mine turned out to be a rat.
They're still pretty cute and if they are outdoor rodents how much worse than the dirt can they be?

Agree. They just don't belong in a house. I'm not in the least afraid of them. But if they get in, they have to go.
I once got a mouse in the basement with a hammer. Had to crack the skull but not spray brains all over. Got it on the first try.
--
Dan Espen

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 12:36:31 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

How do you know that? Pan tells me this was posted today. How did you know the original post was from 2008?

I first asked my newsreader to show the parent post. Eternal September didn't have it. That told me the parent was old.
Then I went to Google groups and looked at the thread. All the posts except this one were from 2008.
--
Dan Espen

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:46:40 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

Thanks for responding and then giving me an explanation. Much appreciated.:)