how to preserve p v c pipe

I want to make an arch out of 3\4 p v c. It will stay outside for serveral years and be exposed to all of natures elements. What if anything can I tre at it with to keep it from getting brittle and cracking? It will eventually be partialy covered with climbing vines. Thanks for any reply Herb

Reply to
herb white

Paint it. That will protect the PVC from the UV light.

Reply to
Pat

The PVC will get brittle but it is not going to crumble to dust. There are PVC arbors around here that have been in the Florida sun for 20 years or more. As long as you are not trying to bend it, you will be OK. If you used the gray "electrical" PVC it will be OK for decades. Like the others have said a coat or two of paint will reduce the UV damage.

Reply to
gfretwell

He said it was going to be an arch!

Reply to
micky

I assume he will bend it when it is new and not try to straighten it out later. It will take a set and be bent forever. So what?

Reply to
gfretwell

So? He could make an arch without any bending by using short straight segments between the appropriate number of elbows based on their angle.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I'd say that if you start out with UV-reistant pipe and fittings (PVC-UVR) in the beginning you should be home free. If you can't find the proper stuff locally, try for outdoor-rated PVC conduit which will certainly stand up for decades and is much more easily identified as outdoor material by its grey color. Paint whatever you choose with a plastic-rated spray to achieve your desired color.

Reply to
BenignBodger

I hadn't thought about painting our pvc arch we installed in our garden. We zip tied 1x2 inch cage wire overlapping the ends to our pvc arch. I had wondered if that would be enough reinforcement to strengthen the pvc. It's too late to paint the pvc now, though.

Reply to
Maggie