How to prep aluminum for painting?

I have a screen room with aluminum framework. One piece of the aluminum has had the original bronze finish stripped off by some sort of animal "excrement". After I lightly sand the aluminum, what should I use to prime/prep the metal before I spray it with bronze-colored paint?

Thanks,

Jean

Reply to
Jean

Jasco Prime & Prep the best stuff for priming metal for paint; rusted or un-rusted steel, glavanized steel and aluminum

I searched for metal prep compound summer 2006 & after extensive research found this stuff

Jasco Prime & Prep

***looks like they've been acquired by Strip-Kleen

Phosphoric Prep & Etch

Klean-Strip=AE Phosphoric Prep & Etch does the job of three products:

1) Removes rust from iron and steel surfaces, 2) treats metal surfaces, including galvanized and aluminum, to allow better paint adhesion, 3) etches concrete to allow paint or stains to penetrate and adhere.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

It has a bronze anodized finish? All I know is you have a problem making paint stick and you can not just use latex like on untreated- unfinished aluminum. Call a real paint store.

Reply to
ransley

But does Phosporic eat glass, Muriatic wont but it fumes, and there are screens to consider.

Reply to
ransley

To my recollection, it is hydrofluricacid which etches glass. But your mileage may vary. JoeG

Reply to
GROVER

Aluminum "patio" is just painted. The cans of paint they sell for the purpose do a pretty good job.

Reply to
gfretwell

Just wipe it down with some kind of solvent like paint thinner and shoot on the paint. Take your time with the paint and shoot on several light coats. Don't try to get it all on at once. Keep the can moving and just "spritz" the paint on with short bursts on the button. I would practice on another surface if you are not handy with a spray can.

Reply to
gfretwell

You can paint it if you like, it is all about the proper prep work...

You will find that the finish you apply will be more effected by further bird droppings and environmental issues like hail than the factory applied finish...

Might be something you would have to touch up every year if you are one of those people that are anal about appearance things like that...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Jean wrote the following:

I painted my baked on enamel anodized aluminum gutters with white rustoleum spray paint. The only prep I did was to wash the surface. This was about 10 years ago and they haven't chipped or peeled yet. My black roof shingles had stained the white gutters, so that was the reason for the painting. They don't stain anymore.

Reply to
willshak