how to poly windows?

I am in the process of applying polyurethane to some new windows. The instructions call to apply poly onto the glass by about 1/16" in order to form an airtight seal. In case anyone is wondering, doing this with any accuracy is almost impossible. Can the excess poly be removed from the glass using a razor etc once it cures?

Thanks

Reply to
Mark

Use some masking tape.....

Reply to
Bob S.

It can be removed. It takes some practice and the right brush to do the job well. You truly need a good "sash" brush and not some 50¢ crap from Wal Mart. A good brush will la on a nice even coat and you will be able to get that 1/16" fairly easy by the second window. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

When I painted outside of windows, I used a steel rule - against the frame - and just ran a razor blade scraper along it. Worked fine. The paint/poly should lap onto the glass a bit to keep moisture from entering the space between the glass and wood.

Reply to
NorMinn

Depends on the tape.

Blue tape does well, the cheap tan stuff doesn't.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Waste of time and money. Lay on paint with a loaded brush, then scrape the edges with a razor blade like a real painter would.

Reply to
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Hey there Rev., I just did a kitchen window using the 3M Blue tape and it worked well. Just because you can paint a straight line doesn't mean everyone else can. After it dries and you go back with a razor blade, you also break the seal he wants.

I placed the tape on the glass and after the poly dried, I used a razor blade to score the poly along the tape line then gently pulled the tape up so it was being pulled at almost a right angle away from the window frame. This left a nice clean edge all around.

There are several products he can use, tape, liquid tape etc. that are available - I suggested tape since it worked fine for me and was not a waste of time or money.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.