How to plug sliding door gap?

Page 1 of 2
Hi There is a gap between my sliding doors and heat is escaping. See the pic:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8092/slidingdoorgap.jpg
You can see light coming through. What can I get to perminantly block the air but will allow the door to open and close? Thanks
On 12/20/2010 8:44 AM, Name Classified wrote:

You can use a brush type door sweep for a weather seal. The fine brush will conform to odd shapes without interfering with the door clearances.
http://www.reeseusa.com/item/963G
http://preview.tinyurl.com/36agzg2
TDD

And face the fact that no solution will ever turn a sliding door into a well engineered wall opening. I put one in 30 years ago because wife insisted on it. We have both cursed it ever since. Promised her that comes spring that abortion is disappearing.
Yes it was a quality door (Anderson).
Harry K
On 12/20/2010 1:39 PM, Harry K wrote:

They have made great improvements in 30 years. We had Anderson sliders in the previous house and they were very tight. That coupled with the Low-E glass, made them almost feel like a wall. In this house we have an el-cheapo door. While it's not that bad, the Anderson was far better. The only reason we didn't get Anderson, was because this unit came in at less than half the cost.
On 12/20/2010 2:14 PM, Art Todesco wrote:

I had 3 Andersons put in 3 years ago and one warped slightly to let in air and warped half was replaced by contractor under warranty this spring. Waiting for repair, I stuffed foam in the crack. With new E glass, they made a huge difference over the old sliders which were double paned but seals leaked.

And face the fact that no solution will ever turn a sliding door into a well engineered wall opening. I put one in 30 years ago because wife insisted on it. We have both cursed it ever since. Promised her that comes spring that abortion is disappearing.
Yes it was a quality door (Anderson).
Harry K
I agree with Harry...For some northern climates like here in Maine where it can drop to 10 below they just plain SUCK...Other climates they might be OK...I got rid of mine and the difference was amazing...So much so my dad ditched his as well...Both of us now have a nice full view steel entry door , full view storm door with built in screen with a new window next to it..Header was already there just had to frame window and door opening ...Vinyle siding was a breeze to do and I do drywall for a living..Trimming them was easy too..Couldn't be happier and MUCH warmer..To each their own ofcourse...

I'm in CT but we get some below zero. I have Pella 8' slide in the family room. If I had to take it out, I'd sell the house. That big glass opening is one reason I bought the house, so I could enjoy the view of the woods next to me. I really don't get drafts and the room is the same temperature as the rest of the house.

When we were looking at the house we live in, I walked into the family room, which is at the back of the house and full story above the backyard. I looked out of the 2 side by side double hung windows and the first thing that came to mind was "This place needs a deck."
The first summer we were in the house I built the deck, tore out the windows and put in a Crestline wooden sliding door. 25 years later and I don't regret it for a second.
The previous owners raised 4 kids in this house (as did we) and they spent 30 years walking out of the front door and all the way around to get to the back yard. 6 months after the wife and I were in, we were sliding the door open, crossing the deck and walking down the stairs into the yard.
I wouldn't change a thing.

A set of french doors would accomplish the same thing, seal better, lock one whale of a lot better, no more replacing wheels (what a fun job that is!), no more cleaning out tracks, etc. No matter how you slice it, a slider is not a well engineered solution to having a way through a wall. Yes, there are ways to "improve" them with aftermarket stuff but it still comes down to trying to "polish crap".
Harry K

I've had to replace a wheel on my Crestline once in 25 years. Piece of cake. I don't what kind of door you have that makes you say "what a fun job that is" but my Crestline is no problem at all.
As far as locking, my Crestline has a deadbolt that goes into the oak sill and another that goes into the oak strip that holds the slider in place. You can't lift my door out, you need to remove the interior oak strip (10 screws) and then the door falls into the room. Coming in through my garage would probably be easier than coming in through my slider.
Do french doors open 180 degrees (serious question) or do they take up space in the room when open? That wouldn't work in my family room without some very inconvenient rearranging.
As far as cleaning out the tracks, I'll give you that one. Snow can be a pain, but the few times that it's an issue is far outweighed by all the other things I like about the door.
To each his own.

You are aware that french doors can be installed to open _out_? It is amazing how much interior room is saved by 'out opening' doors. My entry and back door are that way now and when I replace that abortion it will also open out...maybe. Where it, and the furniture inside winds up would also work for an in-opener.
My BIL in Canada replaced his slider when he bought the house with an "out-opener"
Harry K
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:36:22 -0800 (PST), Harry K

Good luck getting out when you have a 4 foot drift across the door. With an in-opener or a slider you have a way out. (might need to keep the snowshovel inside)
On Dec 21, 11:19am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yep, my back porch door has that problem. Had quite a pushing experience getting it open two weeks ago. Didn't want to walk around the house through the snow to shovel it clear. Only happens when the wind is coming from an odd direction though.
Harry K

re: "You are aware that french doors can be installed to open _out_?"
You are aware that open _out_ doors can't be opened when there's snow piled up outside the door?
Sliders can.
You are aware that open _out_ doors can't (shouldn't?) be opened when it's raining?
Sliders can.
You are aware that open _out_ doors take up room on the deck?
Sliders don't.
Besides, I'm not looking to replace my slider door with french doors. I *like* my slider. If and when it ever needs to be replaced, it will be replaced with another slider.
By the way, I'm not talking about some ugly, aluminum, drafty sliding door. I've got a good quality, wood interior, white aluminum clad exterior, double pane glass, with a nice oak sill.
Like I said, other than the rare times I've gotten a little snow in the tracks, I couldn't be happier with my slider.

Are you aware that there are such things as eves and porches? ;-)

That's why they make both.
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 22:55:20 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
SNIPP

Are you aware snow DRIFTS. A 4 foot overhang will not prevent snow blowing in and packing against the door, although it does help, and might give you six inches space between the door and the wall of snow. Which is enough to open an in-swing door or a slider, but only gives you a little bit of swinging space to batter the snow back with an outswing.

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

Exactly!

Odd, I jsut posted where I had just done it.

And jsut why would that be?

You are aware that open _in_ doors take up room inside?

Well goody for you
I'll give you credit though, you didn't bring up the usual lie about 'open out resdential doors' being banned by code.
Harry K

Sure you did: "Had quite a pushing experience getting it open two weeks ago."
On the other hand, I'm not sure I would want to subject my door to that kind of torque. To each his own.
I guess it also depends on the amount of snow. Let me know if you can open with a couple feet of wet/frozen snow on the other side.

Perhaps I should have said what I was thinking and not required you to read my mind.
I'm assuming an open out french door has an interior finish that is meant to be indoors most of the time. So I'm thinking that an unprotected (no overhang, canopy, etc) open out french door shouldn't have it's interior surface out in the elements for an extended period.
A slider can be left open for hours on end during a nice summer rain storm. BT do T.

Why are we going around in circles?
Earlier in this thread I asked if a french door opened 180 degrees because if they don't then it would an inconvenience in my situation. You came back with "You are aware that french doors can be installed to open _out_?" When I responded that an open out door will take up room on a deck (which a slider wouldn't) you came back with "You are aware that open _in_ doors take up room inside?"
Isn't that exactly where we started and right back to what I would find inconvenient?

Thanks!
You give me credit for not telling a lie? I would think that that would be an expected behavior, something not worthy of recognition.

I answered your post in the tone you used to post it. You want sarcasm? You got it in return. Basically your objections are nothing more than nit picking.
About your only halfway valid point it the 'opening against a snow bank'. That is easily solved by either pushing it open as I did or toodling around the house with a shovel.
That you are enamored of one of the poorest solutions to a wall opening ever invented is fine by me. My slider will disappear in the spring.
Harry K