How to play (wirelessly?) audio from PC to hi-fi across house?

Page 3 of 3
Per Malcom "Mal" Reynolds:

For me, it's the other way around. The path of least resistance is to rip DVDs to a PC hard drive and watch them from there - albeit on a TV that is getting it's input from a PC.
Fast-forwarding is *really* fast... you get rid of all the obnoxious trailers and advertisements.... you always know where it is.... and what DVDs I own last forever, not being exposed to handling/scratching.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 4/14/13 11:53 AM, David Combs wrote:

Some cut due to AIOE quotation limit. What can I say? AIOE is free and I'm cheap, er, frugal.

Would a wifi repeater/range extender be what you're after? Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/bo7tck8
On 4/14/2013 3:29 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

I gave up on trying to get sound to the other end of the house wirelessly. I wanted to have music in the living room and the bedroom. Problem is that there's delay involved in the wireless process. Was ok on either end, but if you were in a position to hear both at the same time, it was unlistenable.
I was using networked computers. If you use analog wireless EVERYWHERE, you can do better.
My solution was to give up and use a $1 garage sale PDA with a flash card to play music elsewhere thru Yamaha computer speakers. Nobody would accuse the system of being audiophile quality, but It's pleasant enough that I rarely fire up the Klipchorns.
Hearing two different tunes is far less grating that hearing the same tune with an echo.
YMMV. Bottom line is...consider delays in the process before you spend a lot of money on it.

I'm not sure if you were doing what I do (or did before I moved the computer to the basement, but didn't move the sound transmitter)
I have 2 1/2 pair of RCA wireless speakers. I only use one speaker per room. The computer is normally in one bedroom, and one speaker is in the bathroom, another in my bedroom, one in the kitchen, one in the basement, and one is for outside (though I havnt used that one.)
I never noticed a delay, and I would think I could hear the main speakers even when I was in the bathroom.
RCA wireless aren't really available, and the only other brand I've found is what they sell at Best Buy, about 100 a pair, much more than I paid a surplus guy at a computer show. One of the two transmitters that came with two pair didn't work, but he gave me another one to replace it. I bought the half pair at a hamfest. But I'll buy the expensive ones if I have to.

On 4/14/2013 6:02 PM, micky wrote:

I think I had a bunch of those in use for a while. They're simple wireless RF speakers. They work fine.
The delay comes from digital processing. Bluetooth, wifi, etc. use complex modulation schemes that introduce a slight delay. It's not about the RF, it's about the digital processing.
If you look at competent media players, like vlc, there's often a menu item that can change the relative delays between the sound and picture to match the words with the lips. On my computer, some video formats are off by 0.4 seconds. Same concept.
If you buy wireless headphones that use simple modulation and plug into analog audio at the same place as your main speakers, they work fine. If you buy bluetooth wireless headphones, you may experience annoying delays.
My neighbor's TV has a sound bar connected optically. There's also a standard audio out. Even wired headphones didn't work well because of the delay introduced by the digital processing of the sound bar.
My point is, check it out before you spend a bunch of $$$.

I guess I will. I would hate the delay if I had it.
I had my bedroom tv connected to the computer so I could watch movies, but I never watched one. Well, I bought "Burn" in PAL format (by accident) and watched that straight from the computer, because the DVD player wouldn't play it, but that's all.

On 4/15/2013 2:02 PM, micky wrote:

I record/timeshift/watch ATSC TV on a 24" lcd monitor three feet from my face. Total cost at garage sales under $20.
My neighbor has a shiny new 60" TV and a cable subscription. But he can't timeshift or record. Care to guess what he has invested?
My easy chair is about as comfortable as his.

He's kinda dumb. Cable boxes do all of that stuff. It's been included in the subscription fee for a decade, everywhere I've lived. I understand that it might be a small fee elsewhere, but really.

On 14 Apr 2013 12:53:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Take your laptop up there and see if it works. If so get any kind of old computer and put it under the HiFi. You can hit the same music library on your main computer and run any number of different music programs on that PC. My favorite is still a DOS app called MPXPLAY. It allows the songs to be selected by number like a jukebox and defaults to random play. I used this in my car without a monitor at all. I just had a numeric pad on the console. If you have a TV in that location you can use that for your console with the added advantage of having internet content on the TV (Hulu, HBO Go etc)
On 14 Apr 2013 12:53:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Try one of these: http://store.digitalriver.com/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&Locale=en_US&SiteID=wdus&productID#7609800&themeID0153100
I have 4. I only use them for video, but I am told you can play music without the TV. I don't know how you would select the music without a TV screen to read the menu, but I don't use it like that so I never tried.