How to play (wirelessly?) audio from PC to hi-fi across house?

Page 1 of 3
computer -->acrossHouse--> hi-fi? (Boss says "SEE NO WIRES!")
(Why the effort: hi-fi has vintage-1969 BOSE 901 incredible-sounding speakers, backed against old-house HARD plaster wall (ideal/required for the 901's audio backwards-reflection scheme).
Method 1: Buy cheap computer for hi-fi AND HOPE wifi reaches (6 plaster wall-faces; see below).
(Yes, wifi, transmitted from kitchen computer-site, does nicely reach laptop in basement, but that path is through only ONE wall and one wooden floor.)
Method 2: Hang cable from ceilings: kitchen (where PC is), across front hall, living room, and into where hi-fi is. (GUARANTEED RESULT: end up living on the street or in the car!)
Method 3: Hire electrician to run cable out kitchen window, around back of house, & into hi-fi's window.
Method 4: MY DESIRED IDEAL: (wireless scheme) Concoct scheme to transmit wireless signal from computer, received at hi-fi amp.
Distance: 13 yards;
Impediments to wireless transmission: must go through three OLD 1945 HOUSE walls, each surfaced with heavy plaster, probably backed with wire mesh, thus 3 * 2 = 6 layers of it (ie one layer on each wall face).
Question: how to implement such a solution -- and at a reasonable cost?
THANK YOU!
David
On 14 Apr 2013 12:53:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Do you really need an electrician to do this?

Method 5. Run cat-5 or cat-6 cable through small hole in kitchen floor, preferablly under the kitchen sink where no one will see it, along the basement ceiling to a spot under the amp, and up through another small hole.
Purchase 3 foot drill bit to go through floors, walls, and ceilings.
Purchase a set of baluns for each end of the cat-6. (Hard to find, but you seem to already know how you will terminate your cable.)
IIRC, 100 feet for 8 dollars at monoprice.com If it's much more there, then there's a cheaper place.

added the Internet Wireless - these kinds of WiFi questions come up all the time on the "wireless" newsgroup -

On 4/14/2013 12:53 PM, David Combs wrote:

Why couldn't you load the songs on your portable player of choice (ipod etc) and plug it into the aux input on the amplifier? That immediately negates the need to keep a computer running and devising a method to connect the computer on the other end of the house to the amp.

Suppose I'm listening to Pandora, and want to hear how THAT PIECE sounds coming out of my speakers?
No way to plan ahead and do that; on Pandora, what comes up is often by surprise.
So you rush to the hi-fi, turn it on, and sart listening.
David
On Apr 21, 12:57 am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

I use this FM transmitter from CCrane.com: http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-transmitters/fm-transmitter-2.aspx I can receive it on any radio in my house. It has decent selectivity (avoiding interference from adjacent stations) so it works well for me. It's available on amazon. There are also other brands you can find there if you search for "FM transmitter".

LOOKS LIKE A GOOD IDEA!
THANK YOU!
David
On Apr 22, 11:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
com>,

lid> wrote:

od

I like it. Sorry I mis-spoke about the selectivity issue (I must be getting sleepy). The selectivity only has to do with the radio receiver, not the transmitter.
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

why is it necessary to get music from your PC? Wouldn't it just be easier to burn DVDs and get a d DVD player?

I don't know about the OP but I like internet radio. One can listen to stations from all over the world. I use an iPod with wifi. TuneIn is one of the apps for iPod that makes it work.
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 17:32:57 -0500, Dean Hoffman

Me too. The last thing I want to do is spend time picking out songs I want to hear and copying them somewhere. That's what they pay the folks at the radio station to do. Plus I like the surprise of hearing what someone else picked out for me.
And I don't always want music.
I don't know how I didn't notice this earlier, but Win Media Player 9 has a tab called Internet Radio, and ver. 11 has the same thing at Media Guide. Under that is a,b,c,d, Internet Radio, and under Internet Radio are lots of good things, some of them broadcast stations and others just on the net.. When one changes from one station to another, there is practically no wait time, plus it saves a list of stations you've listened to, most recent first.
Right now I'm liking this more than Pandora, and all of you probably have it.
When

You want radio? Itunes is the way to go. It has over 200 alternative stations. It has all comedy, all talk, all blues, all jazz, all RnB, any genre you can think of.

THANKS!
Will look into it.
David
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

Hi, Media player and/or NAS?

Why would anyone want TV video coming from their PC?
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:24:36 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

A quick one, get HBO Go in a hotel room, watching free movies instead of their $13 movie, using their TV and their WiFi.
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:44:33 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Who in their right mind pays $13 for a "movie" on a little box?

apparently conservatives
On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 20:43:20 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

You're lying again. I understand that you can't help it, though. You're a lefty.

so you're finally admitting that conservatives aren't in their right mind? thanks