How to Paint Metal Baseboard Heaters?

My 70 y/o house has metal electric baseboard heaters.
A "How to Paint" article in This Old House magazine states paint the metal baseboard heaters with the same paint that's used on the baseboards. My buddy says that wont work, it'll peel. "Should use Rustoleum paint."
Any recommendations for painting metal baseboard heater covers?
Thanks,
Mike
Mike wrote:

over 3 years and no peeling yet.
How did you prep the metal? sand then primer?
Mike

Mike wrote:

someone said to do that. After the light sanding, I just used the trim paint with no primer. I may have to wait a few more years to see whether I should've used a primer.

Unfortunately, I sanded through in some areas, so I guess I'll need to prime at least those places.
Mike

I sanded with 80 grit paper. Sanded through at corners and surface itrregularities. Spray them with Rustoleum colors I liked and they look fine six years later.
Mike wrote:

Thanks,
Mike

If your buddy is correct, he may be the new host on TOH or at least on Ask TOH.

Either one will work. You are not painting metal, you are painting paint.
Good point, however I sanded through the paint at some places where the metal is bent 90 degrees.
Mike

Latex will probably still work OK. In my house, I've used spray paint. IMO, it depends on what you want as a final result. Glossy white like the original? Color to match the wall or trim?
Ideally, I'd like to use the same color/paint as the wood trim. Which spray paint did you use?
Mike