How to paint french doors without going crazy.

I googled for "Painting French Doors", without meaningful results.

I have 3 sets of wooden French patio doors. They need painting, inside out. How can I paint 180 little panes of glass? Just the thought of masking all those little panes spoils my day.

Any ideas for shortcuts?

Thanks

Reply to
Walter R.

Normally when confronted with glass during a painting project I simply slow down and paint carefully. With practice you can get pretty good at it if you are using the proper brush. Of course for those places where I wasn't quite careful enough it is dead simple to come back with a single-edge razor blade and remove the paint from the glass after it has dried for a while.

If careful doesn't do it for you there are a couple of liquid glass masking products on the market. I haven't tried them and can't comment on the performance.

This one seems to be the most common:

John McGaw

I don't have an easy method, but if you remove the door and use two saw horses it will make the job easier. A small paint brush with a steady hand will help too.

Reply to
Phisherman

This is going to sound stupid, but did you check and make sure there was no plastic over each pain? I recently purchased a set of french doors from home deopt that needed painting. My second set. Usually they come with the plastic over the glass and after your project is over you simply remove the plastic. If you are not looking for it you will not notice the plastic.

Walter R. wrote:

Reply to
wildcatpete

I have had the best results with either a round or bevel sash brush, and keep it WET. Then, if I messed up, it is simple to fix with a single edged razor blade scraper, after the paint has set up, but not gotten real hard. Also, after the first pass, you don't need to cut as close to the glass on 2nd and 3rd coats, if you need 3. Patience is your friend here.

Reply to
professorpaul

Wagner's glass mask - basically a liquid wax applicator. Works great.

RicodJour

If they are new, have you checked to see if they have a plastic coating on all the pains that you cut and remove after painting, for the last 2 years or so I haven't done one that didn't have the plastic. If not, get yourself a good brush, in my opinion Purdy is the best, and take your time. As for the liquid masking tape, mentioned by others, that's fine if you don't mind cutting in to all the wood, because as it it is meant to come off if painted over, then if you get it on the wood and paint over, it will eventually come off.

Reply to
Greg

I did this a few time and it worked .... I cut-out a piece of very thin wood (or even a thicker cardboard) and made a tenplate that fit the size of the window. I would place in the window and then paint the trim. I had a paper clip taped to the center of the insert .. pick it up and then start all over. It worked. Keep the edge clean of paint.

Reply to
Buster Chops

Do what the pro painter does. Get drunk and continue drinking while painting.

Reply to
Colbyt

"Colbyt" wrote in news:4fGdncolAIOf3m_ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com:

LOL! Pick that one up on Ask This Old House?

Reply to
Al Bundy