How to paint a steel trailer

I have this trailer that I made with a military surplus bed.

Now that warmer weather has come, I can think about painting it.

The bed has some rust spots and such. I would like to know if there is a way to paint it such that it will only need minor maintenance from now on.

As an extra tidbit, I have 16 aerosol cans with "93% zinc paint". It seems to be good stuff.

So, my plan for the INSIDE of the bed is to take a angle grinder, with a 6" wire brush, do a decent wire brushing job, and simply apply this ZINC spray paint on the inside. I do expect to do some touching up once in a while as the bed gets scratched, etc, but I hope that it would just be a few minuts per year.

A bigger question is what to do on the outside. There is a lot more paint left on the outside and I sort of like the camo color pattern. (though the grey color is not bad also and would fit the color of my pickup)

Ideally, I would like to find a way to mostly preserve this pattern. A few months ago, on the spur of the moment, I bought a couple of little cans of paint at the local pro paint store, but I am a little doubtful that latex paint will really adhere. Does anyone hve any experience with repainting with latex over old paint or wirebrushed rust.

Any thoughts.

Ignoramus322

Mike Berger

Would you have any specific suggestions as to what paint to use?

Ignoramus322

Better have a 7" or 9" angle grinder for the 6" wire cup. They take a lot of ass to spin them with the pressure you will use to get the rust. How advanced is the rust?

If you have compressed air, you can get a cheap conventional spray gun to shoot your trailer from the horrible fright. I use Sherwin Williams industrial alkyd enamel for painting steel that needs a good finish.

I don't think you will be happy with latex paint at all. I would wire cup it, prime it, and enamel it, and done. The guys at the store can clue you in as to the reduction method for the particular paint you use.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Wasn't all that already explained to you in full length? It was. Go read those old postings again!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I have a 7" grinder.

The rust, is not very advanced in most but a couple of places (I believe that there are only two small spots rusted through). In most other places the rust is superficial.

So, if I go to a store, I should ask for "industrial alkyd enamel", is that right? What do you mean by reduction method? Thanks

Ignoramus322

Mike Berger wrote: What you need is a good one-step camouflage spray paint. Iggy wrote: Would you have any specific suggestions as to what paint to use? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have some, but I set it down, and now I can't find it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Rino Liner

"Try thinking of the Libertarian Party as a rolled-up newspaper, useful in making the Republican puppy (I've given up on the Democratic bitch) go where he's supposed to -- not on that beautiful antique carpet we call the Constitution." -- L. Neil Smith, Bill Clinton's Reichstag Fire

Reply to
Gunner

What works good is a needle scaler. (yeah, right, like you NEED a reason to go buy ANOTHER tool) But, they work really well, particularly in corners and places where it's hard to fit in the grinder wheel or brush. Don't forget ear plugs. Not very expensive, even for a good one.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The price for that is $900. I already asked. I have this brand of bedliner in my pickup.

Ignoramus322

My thoughts, also. A small sandblaster would make fast work for the serious rust spots.

-- Oren

Oren

Haven't come across that term, "reduction method" before; what is it (nutshell okay)?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

reducer=thinner or solvent

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Doing Rhino inside only would cost me about $900.

As far as sandblasting goes, I am quite open minded since I have a "Real 5 HP" compressor and could, in principle, do sandblasting.

I assume that you are referring to those sandblasting guns that work in the open, without a tent or some such, around.

Ignoramus322

Um... Iggy... there MUST be a tent. But in this case, you should wear it, rather than putting it up around the trailer.

(still pickin' grit outta my teeth from the LAST sandblasting exercise!)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I think RustOleum makes some poka-dot paint....

Reply to
HeyBub

Its right next to the can of Kelly Green Paisley paint. Hard to miss it.

Gunner

"Try thinking of the Libertarian Party as a rolled-up newspaper, useful in making the Republican puppy (I've given up on the Democratic bitch) go where he's supposed to -- not on that beautiful antique carpet we call the Constitution." -- L. Neil Smith, Bill Clinton's Reichstag Fire

Reply to
Gunner

Have you checked into the doit yourself liners?

Gunner

"Try thinking of the Libertarian Party as a rolled-up newspaper, useful in making the Republican puppy (I've given up on the Democratic bitch) go where he's supposed to -- not on that beautiful antique carpet we call the Constitution." -- L. Neil Smith, Bill Clinton's Reichstag Fire

Reply to
Gunner

Ah, thanks for that. I was thinking in terms of oxygen.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Yes, they look interesting. But they are not nearly as good as pro spray in bedliners. For inside the trailer, though, I am pretty set on using that zinc paint, I think that I already have those 16 cans and it will actually last, with a touchup here and there or a sheet of plywood thrown in as needed.

Ignoramus322