How to paint a steel trailer

Page 1 of 2

I have this trailer that I made with a military surplus bed.
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Homemade-Trailer-With-M105A2-Bed/
Now that warmer weather has come, I can think about painting it.
The bed has some rust spots and such. I would like to know if there is a way to paint it such that it will only need minor maintenance from now on.
As an extra tidbit, I have 16 aerosol cans with "93% zinc paint". It seems to be good stuff.
So, my plan for the INSIDE of the bed is to take a angle grinder, with a 6" wire brush, do a decent wire brushing job, and simply apply this ZINC spray paint on the inside. I do expect to do some touching up once in a while as the bed gets scratched, etc, but I hope that it would just be a few minuts per year.
A bigger question is what to do on the outside. There is a lot more paint left on the outside and I sort of like the camo color pattern. (though the grey color is not bad also and would fit the color of my pickup)
Ideally, I would like to find a way to mostly preserve this pattern. A few months ago, on the spur of the moment, I bought a couple of little cans of paint at the local pro paint store, but I am a little doubtful that latex paint will really adhere. Does anyone hve any experience with repainting with latex over old paint or wirebrushed rust.
Any thoughts.
What you need is a good one-step camouflage spray paint.
Ignoramus322 wrote:

Would you have any specific suggestions as to what paint to use?

Mike Berger wrote: What you need is a good one-step camouflage spray paint. Iggy wrote: Would you have any specific suggestions as to what paint to use? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have some, but I set it down, and now I can't find it.
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:46:51 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"

Gunner
"Try thinking of the Libertarian Party as a rolled-up newspaper, useful in making the Republican puppy (I've given up on the Democratic bitch) go where he's supposed to -- not on that beautiful antique carpet we call the Constitution." -- L. Neil Smith, Bill Clinton's Reichstag Fire
Ignoramus322 wrote:

I think RustOleum makes some poka-dot paint....
Ignoramus322 wrote:

Better have a 7" or 9" angle grinder for the 6" wire cup. They take a lot of ass to spin them with the pressure you will use to get the rust. How advanced is the rust?
If you have compressed air, you can get a cheap conventional spray gun to shoot your trailer from the horrible fright. I use Sherwin Williams industrial alkyd enamel for painting steel that needs a good finish.
I don't think you will be happy with latex paint at all. I would wire cup it, prime it, and enamel it, and done. The guys at the store can clue you in as to the reduction method for the particular paint you use.
Hope this helps!
--
John L. Weatherly
Nashville, TN

I have a 7" grinder.
The rust, is not very advanced in most but a couple of places (I believe that there are only two small spots rusted through). In most other places the rust is superficial.

So, if I go to a store, I should ask for "industrial alkyd enamel", is that right? What do you mean by reduction method? Thanks

What works good is a needle scaler. (yeah, right, like you NEED a reason to go buy ANOTHER tool) But, they work really well, particularly in corners and places where it's hard to fit in the grinder wheel or brush. Don't forget ear plugs. Not very expensive, even for a good one.
Steve
"John L. Weatherly" wrote:

Haven't come across that term, "reduction method" before; what is it (nutshell okay)?
Jon
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 11:24:32 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

reducer=thinner or solvent
CWM
"Charlie Morgan" wrote:

Ah, thanks for that. I was thinking in terms of oxygen.
Jon
Ignoramus322 wrote:

Wasn't all that already explained to you in full length? It was. Go read those old postings again!
Nick
--
***********************************
*** The lowcost DRO ***

Might this offend your teutonic sense of precision and order, Nick?
We have indeed been there and done that recently, but perhaps it's a matter of honor. The sequel jenny3kids thread ran to 127 postings that ended about where it started, so Ig is now in far distant 2d place. Such an ignominious position for the 1996 troll of the year -- but Ig and the year are both still young.
Relax, sit back and enjoy the show.
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 09:16:37 -0500, Ignoramus322

Rino Liner

"Try thinking of the Libertarian Party as a rolled-up newspaper, useful in making the Republican puppy (I've given up on the Democratic bitch) go where he's supposed to -- not on that beautiful antique carpet we call the Constitution." -- L. Neil Smith, Bill Clinton's Reichstag Fire

The price for that is $900. I already asked. I have this brand of bedliner in my pickup.
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 13:04:30 -0500, Ignoramus322

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/bedliners/Bed_Liners_For_Pickup_Truck_Beds_Where_To_Buy_New_Bedliners.htm
Gunner
"Try thinking of the Libertarian Party as a rolled-up newspaper, useful in making the Republican puppy (I've given up on the Democratic bitch) go where he's supposed to -- not on that beautiful antique carpet we call the Constitution." -- L. Neil Smith, Bill Clinton's Reichstag Fire

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/bedliners/Bed_Liners_For_Pickup_Truck_Beds_Where_To_Buy_New_Bedliners.htm
Yes, they look interesting. But they are not nearly as good as pro spray in bedliners. For inside the trailer, though, I am pretty set on using that zinc paint, I think that I already have those 16 cans and it will actually last, with a touchup here and there or a sheet of plywood thrown in as needed.
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 14:14:09 -0500, Ignoramus322

True they are not as good as. But then Harbor Freight hammers are not as good as Estwing. But both will still drive nails for many years.
And they are not $900
Shrug
Gunner
"Try thinking of the Libertarian Party as a rolled-up newspaper, useful in making the Republican puppy (I've given up on the Democratic bitch) go where he's supposed to -- not on that beautiful antique carpet we call the Constitution." -- L. Neil Smith, Bill Clinton's Reichstag Fire
Ignoramus322 wrote:

Iggy
$900! Is this semi trailer size? That sounds pretty steep. There's a place in Frankfort IL that did my full size pickup bed for alot less, under $400 several years ago. It's held up really well.
Paul
It\'s a Linux world....well, it oughta be.