How to open this cleanout?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, your questions are part of what I am trying to determine.

The house is old, build in 1972, and the city has no old plans that survived. They microfilmed all paper plans in the 90s to save space, then the bugs ate all the microfilms. So no old record to go back to.

Due to the unique design of the house, there are multiple lines that exit the house. The have already identified and located one of them which is on the other side of the house. I do know these two merge further downstream.

This line I *believe* exits the house under the front door entrance, which consists of a concrete stairway three steps up to the landing areas. This stepped area then is directly connected to the concrete driveway. I believe this line goes under the stairway and landing areas then the driveway. There is no visible exit point elsewhere (I have dugged).

I had someone come by to snake the line and I sort of located it heading in the direction of the stairway by listening to the spinning noise of the snake head from above, but it muffed as it gets deeper. The plumber ran

100' of line but I don't know where it went. I wanted to open the cleanout on the exit end and look down, and possibly snake from there to the city. I also want to send a video down and see the conditon.

The entire exercise is to assess the condition of my cast iron line and determine if I need repair, or total replacement.

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Don & Lucille

Is you house similiar to the others in the neighborhood? Perhaps you can compare how your neighbor's houses are built.

Reply to
Mike rock

"MiamiCuse" wrote in news:v7GdnbO6Kr9X5_bXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@dsli.com:

Well, I have this at the end of my driveway about 6ft from the street and it's midway across the width. I don't know what it is. All I can say is that the water meter is in an underground box with a flip top about 10 ft away on the side of the driveway.

I'm curious what it is.

And I wonder if yours looked like this at one time. The wrench size for it would be 2-1/8".

Reply to
Red Green

Not the same. My house was custom built by an architect for himself many years ago and he is no longer around.

Reply to
MiamiCuse

A 1" diamond hole saw might work best, taking out bite sizes chunks without whaling away at the underlying structures. With some finesse, a hidden plug ought to show up. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

dpb posted for all of us...