How to oil, qiet fan?

I needed my 7" fan for something else (They don't seem to sell 7" AC fans these days.) so I got out one of my father's fans for use at the computer. It's a Bersted 1250R "Zero" model, made by McGraw Hill in the 50's they say.
1) I couldn't find my regular oil, so is there any reason not to use 10W-30? It never gets that cold in the house, especially in the summer when I use a fan, so I figure that's 30 weight. Good enough, right?
2) So that leaves the detergents. They're not something that actually has any effect at room temperature, are they? I figure they work when the oil in the car is hot. (How hot is that?)
3) Then the fan made some noise, and it was clearly from the metal blades, not the armature. Is there any way I can stop the noise from the blades? Could I tie them to the protective screen, for example?
Mine looks a lot better than this one, and has the original cord. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-Bersted-ZERO-Fan-Wall-Or-Desk-RETRO-1250R-/221240721471
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 12:06:17 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

That oil should be perfectly fine, I wouldn't obsess over it.

Absolutely. It's guaranteed to stop the noise from the fan blades.
Have you been drinking again?
On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 9:06:17 AM UTC-7, micky wrote:

I use the Zoom Spout Oiler:
http://www.laco.com/lubricants/zoom-spout-oiler/
Available at many locations including ACE Hardware stores.
The oil in the Zoom Spout Oiler is perfect for fan motors.

Detergent oil can absorb humidity, resulting in moisture problems. Unless (like in car) it's heated regularly.
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:32:20 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Hmmm. Well, too late now. We'll see.
Actually, the noise the fan made was something out of a Tennessee Willaims story, with a fan in the background in 1930's bar or pool room, or a lawyer's office. But it stopped making the fin noise after 3 or 4 minutes and the only noise was the air moving. It only has one speed, which is a little too high since it's 2 feet behind my head.
The prior cheap newish plastic fan had two speeds, but by coincidence, one just broke. I'm going to try putting it in the laundry chute, to blow basement air to the second floor.

On Wednesday, June 24, 2015 at 1:32:00 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Did you say before that 2-cycle oil is good for small motors?
On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:44:02 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thanks for replying.

It doesn't give the viscosity. It really should, but maybe they're afraid if they do that, more people will do what I do.
I bought one of these about 20 years ago. When it's empty I fill it up with 30 weight motor oil. And if I could have found that quickly, I would have used that, Last I looked, all 3 zoom bottles, 30, 10W-30, and one refilled with Liquid Wrench, were in the same place, but not today.

But I want to run the fan now. ;-)

Bad idea. Tie it to your dick instead. Once you start feeling the effect on your dick, you wont hear the blade noise anymore!