How to nail down oak saddle?

I'm installing a 5.5" wide oak saddle (natural stain, 3 coats polycrylic) in a 5.5' doorway, between a carpeted floor and a vinyl tile floor. What's the best way to nail it down? Common sense says that finishing nails will pull out, but I don't know of any other type of fastener that doesn't have a visible head.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Wechsler

You could use trim head screws (they leave a bigger hole to fill than finish nails, but hold better). I have put in a number of these with finish nails and it works fine. I would assume that you are not planning to put it on top of the carpet, but rather butt the carpet up to it. If so, the finish nails should draw the saddle firmly down to the subfloor and it will be stable. The only way the nails would work loose is if it is possible to flex the saddle. It should rest flat and solid on a firm surface. If the surface is uneven, you could use floor patch under it to keep it from rocking.

Reply to
donald girod

Use screws in a hole, glue in face grain oak plugs, cut off flush and finish.

-- dadiOH ________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I just used small brass screws countersunk into the oak. Looks pretty good actually.

Reply to
Eric Scantlebury

Why would the finishing nails pull out? This thing is on the floor, right? Any stresses on it will be down, or sideways.

Reply to
Goedjn

I have done the same and it also looks good.

Reply to
George

I installed a narrower maple saddle in a friends house, and he did not want nailheads showing. So, I used a tube of Liquid nails, ran two straight beads about an inch apart and glued it down. One year later, so far, so good. This is at a bathroom entrance that gets stepped on every day multiple times.

JE

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE