how to mount radiator ?

It is a double radiator (water) about 3` tall and 6` long and very heavy,and `fits` by way of 2 brackets at the back. It will be mounting on to plaster board wall. This is my understanding...... The radiator is too heavy for direct mounting onto plaster board, and the spacing of the studs (battons ?) do not match the distances for the brackets. Would I be correct in assuming the following.... The plaster board wall has vertical studs, I then use a couple of lengths of wood (horizontal) to bridge the studs and then fix the brackets to the horizontal pieces of wood. If this is correct then... Should the horizontal pieces of would be attached to the vertical studs or the plaster board or both? What size of timber required for the horizontal lengths (2x2, 4x1 etc) obviousy the length is to coincide with the brackets.What length of screws? slight concern about how far out from the wall the radiator will sit when mounted onto the horizontal wood.
Help appreciated thanks
PS I am only mounting the radiator a plumber is connecting for me, its an additional radiator he is connecting to my existing central heating system.
Juco wrote:>It is a double radiator (water) about 3` tall and 6` long and very heavy,and

You probably won't be relying on just a wall-mount set-up. It is too heavy. Battens aren't studs. The horizontal pieces should be attached to the vertical studs. I'd go with 2x2s. The screws should penetrate the anchoring members by at least a 1/2 inch, maybe more. Some type of spacer will create the necessary distance from the wall, if that's your concern. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Never tried a radiator but I mount all my four legged animals from the rear.
So you want to mount a radiator, so what will it weight Full ? 400lb? 500lb? And you dont think 2- 2x4 wont possibly pull away from the wall ? Get a pro to do it , if you have to ask there is no way anybody can tell you safley what to do.

What's the model number of the radiator?