How to mix thinset?

I'm in the final stages of finishing the bathroom and am about to lay some plywood and 1/4" backerboard with thinset under each layer. I'll mix the thinset in a 5 Ga pail, using...a hammer drill with the appropriate bit/paddle?

TIA! Darryl

Reply to
Darryl

Yeah, but you don't need the hammer action on the drill.

Reply to
John Hines

Reply to
damn-spam
1) Get a good thinset. Flexbond or some other latex modified one.

2) follow the instructions with one exception....

When adding the water add it slowly until you get the right consistency. If you add too much water to the entire bag (if you are using the whole bag) you'll have a sloppy mix and that will be crap... (unless of course you have a second bag to add to the over watered mix, waste of money)

Reply to
BocesLib

Get one of these;

it with a variable speed or low rpm drill.

Why are you putting thinset underneath the plywood?

Reply to
G Henslee

I'm not and I've proven once more that I should not post before my morning coffee (umm...the plywood is already down...lol). The thinset is going under the backerboard and tiles only.

Thanks for everyone's replies (I picked up that exact tool at HD) Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl