How to measure window size?

Hello everybody,

I must be missing something... I want to replace a window, but I can't measure "unit size" or "rough openning" while the old window is still in. How do I figure out the correct size to buy a new one?

Thanks in advance,

Arkadiy

Reply to
Arkadiy

New construction or replacement type?

They are 2 completely different critters and how you measure depends on the style you will use.

RO refers to the measurement between the studs on the side of the opening and the header at the top and the plate at the bottom. You have to take the trim off and expose the opening to measure it if you want to do it right.

But then you have to have a way to install it after you do. Real hard to use new contractions style on a brick home. With vinyl you can remove the siding and replace it.

Most replacement windows are ordered as replacement type. What they fit inside is the next question.

Reply to
Colbyt

Carefully pry off the old interior trim. This may allow you to measure the rough opening. The rough opening ma be covered with drywall but you can carefully trim it back to reveal the edge of the opening.

Alternatively, you could measure the size of the old window frame itself and add perhaps 1/2 inch to both width and length. Another low risk alternative is to go ahead and remove the old window completely to measure the RO. Cover with plywood until the window comes in.

Reply to
Lawrence

replacement window: measure from inside interior casing to interior casing for width open window measure from inside interior header casing to bottom of sil for height. this is the ROUGH OPENING

new construction window: add 1 1/2 inches to dimensions above for ROUGH OPENING

Reply to
3G