How to Massage the Energy grant test

There is a grant available for renos that improve the home's energy efficiency based on the difference between before/after tests. The test consists of an air leakage measurement and a walkabout to examine insulation levels etc. What temporary changes could one make to minimize the point value of the 'before' test? Here are some of my ideas:

  1. Open up the sealed fireplaces and dampers
  2. Loosen the tight weather-stripping
  3. Remove/reduce the attic insulation
  4. Unseal and plumbing/electrical access holes

Now this may seem unethical, but I have already spend $1500 on energy efficient windows and plan to spend a further $2000 on the other windows as well as insulating the basement so I'd like some of my money back.

Reply to
Tom

It doesn't just *seem* unethical. It *is* unethical.

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine? Crybaby.

You get your money back through energy savings, not by defrauding the grantors and taking money that should go to honest people who need it.

Go piss up a rope, thief.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Intentionally sabotaging your home efficiency to reap a reward is fraud. I think as a federal tax payer, yes I they keep almost all the money they collect from us, I am deeply troubled you would think of doing this. Being a thief can be hazardous to your health.

Oh, btw mr smartguy, by making your house more energy efficient, you will typically get your money back thru reduced energy bills.

Geez....

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

Hi, Are you trolling under hotmail address? Sounds like mal-intention approaching crime. So if they don't give grant, are you going to waste energy? Sigh! Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A few months before my energy audit I went and replaced all the windows of my house and put 2" sm insulation and sided the front of the house. I screwed myself. Sigh. As far as making your house worse before the audit...Lets be honest.

Remov>> There is a grant available for renos that improve the home's energy

Reply to
gary

Why, he's already spend alot of money to reduce energy usage before he knew about the grant so a few 'adjustments' would not be out of line.

Reply to
Rick