how to make sure that driveway does not crack

Page 2 of 2

Delay putting it in as long as possible so the soil is compact as possible. Most houses in my neighborhood were built in 6 months but mine, built by the same builder took almost 3 times as long and the driveway wasn't put in until completion. My driveway went 7 years without a crack. Others were cracked in a year or so. Same soil, same concrete supplier, same builder, same contractor laying concrete.

Ignoramus21090 wrote:

First a very good foundation. What this means depends on where you are the the local soil conditions, but don't skimp.
Next make it thick enough. When in doubt go thicker.
Add rebar -wire. Very important
Use a strong mix. Not all concrete is created equal. You can order different qualities.
Have someone who really knows what they are doing put it in. Over working or under working it when it is put in will result in poor surface strength and you will get scaling in a year or two.
In short, there is not one factor, it is all well known and it all adds up to a quality job. Cost more now less in the long run.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit