How to make pine look like oak

WHat is the process in making natural unstained pine slab door look like oak doors?
http://www.ourvictorianhouse.com/Door%20Restoration.htm
One way to do it. Hope you have some free time

you take your wallet and go to home depot and order oak doors?
pine doesn't have the grain that oak does. you may get it close to the color, but it's hard to stain pine without it being blotchy, but you won't get the grain, and it won't look like oak.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.stratus.com said...

I never have a problem keeping pine from being blotchy as long as I use oil or gel stain. Gel is preferred.
Charlie Spitzer wrote:

Never say never :o) When I refinished a friend's oak kitchen cabinets, I discovered, after applying stripper, that the end panels had only a printed finish on particle board!!!! After recovering from my nervous breakdown, I applied a prime coat, actually a coat of stain brushed on heavy and streaky. Dry. Take acrylic artist colors, black and burnt umber, about 3/4" flat artist brush, and paint in the darkest grain. Then, a little lighter paint to get in the secondary grain. Stain. Varnish. Breathe. Promise yourself never to DO THAT again :o)

trompe l'oeil?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
<< trompe l'oeil? >>