How to make clear glass frosty

If I decide to use frosty polycarbonate as a replacement, I do just that to the old glass. I already have such a center punch.

cellmate?
On 10/9/2014 11:02 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

Amazing, all the things you pick up, while doing time.

He is not talking about tempered glass.
On 10/9/2014 8:58 AM, Rebel1 wrote:

<snip> It does exist. <http://www.contactbrand.com/products.htm#.VDaibh-mQ0t "Con-Tact® Brand Clear Covering Frosty™ comes in a diamonds or white lace patterns. Use our Frosty™ covering for windows to create privacy without sacrificing style or blocking light."
Susan

On 10/9/2014 11:10 AM, Susan Bugher wrote:

I wonder how I missed that. Thanks for the lead, Susan.
R1

1. Get a can of photo retouching lacquer and spray a coat on the glass, it will become nice and frosty. I know of two manufacturers...McDonalds and Lacquermat. Can't find an URL for McDonalds but any photographic supply house should have it. Here's an URL for Lacquermat... http://lacquer-mat.com/lacquercoatings41.html
2. If you want a totally permanent surface, you can frost it with fine valve grinding compount...get a small piece of glass, put compound on it, start rubbing/grinding it on the window. It will take a while :)
You might be able to do the same thing with silicon carbide sandpaper (wet or dry paper); I suspect so but have never done it, have done it with valve grinding compound.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I tried that once when I needed to make a ground glass for a camera I was making. Didn't work, just ate the glass :( I wound up using valve grinding compound.
Sudden thought for OP: there are all sorts of spray products - besides the lacquer I suggested - for frosting glass.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

You may be looking for the wrong material. Plastic seems better and available at many sources, e.g. auto customizing shops (which sell one-way plastic to darken car interiors.)
Temporarily you could just stick there a piece of old shower curtain using Blue Tack or something cleanly removable.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On 10/9/2014 1:57 PM, Don Phillipson wrote:

A wonderful, simple, inexpensive idea. Thanks.
R1
On 10/9/14, 8:58 AM, Rebel1 wrote:

piece of acrylic at a glass shop, saw the proper curve, drill screw holes, warm it in the oven, and bend it to the right curve. We also used acrylic in the military, where glass windows would have broken.
If I were you, I'd figure the thickest piece I could make fit, then have a glass shop cut a piece of glazing plastic in that thickness. Sanding would frost it. I might leave part of it masked while sanding, to leave a clear spot for viewing.

You can leave a key on a string near the door, but beyond the reach of an arm sticking in through the broken light. Or hidden, so the person outside doesn't know it is there.

You can also get thin plastic that is a one-way mirror. So you can see who is outside, but they can't see in. Or switch to one-way mirror glass. Maybe with a second thin sheet of plexiglass on the inside.
On 10/9/14, 4:54 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

lights at night?
A simple thin dusting with white paint will work just fine. Just spray from a couple of feet away so the paint is almost dry before it hits the glass. Done it several times. Even frosted a clear light bulb that way.

sure where you would get it today. I believe the most common one in use was by Sheffield Bronze.

has a spray glass frosting --Valspar glass frosting spray paint, #105953 Rustoleum makes a similar product available at Home Despot.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My entrance door has side light like that, we installed mini blind there in lieu of drapery.

glass is frosted before tempering from what I remember from my window days.
On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 10:05:47 -0400, Stormin Mormon

seen it in a number of years - possibly because I wasn't looking for it - or possibly because it doesn't exist any more??