How to Make a Water Level?

This sounds like a good idea, plus it eliminates problems when the hose heats up in the sun and expands, increasing it's volume. With a good-sized bucket, volume changes in the hose would have little effect on the height at the ends due to the large volume of water in the bucket relative to what's in the hose. If you don't want to cue up the bucket (and install fittings), I'd use the siphon method. You could also use a local, short siphon hose, (over bucket edge, down, below water level, then back up to the top edge.) This one, secured to the side of the bucket, would serve as a sight glass. The larger the bucket, the more accurate it will be.

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

Or, the cheapest method: Fix the top of the reference end the reference point. When you get to a measurement point, slowly pour some water into the open end, until it overflows at the reference (slow) Alternately, if you have running water at an outdoor site, fix a supply hose above the reference end, with a slow trickle of water dribbling into it. Position the measurement end, wait for the level to rise to it's highest point, and make your mark..

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

Now that is just plain brilliant! Thanks, never thought of that.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

According to :

I had the same trouble, when I was not using a reservoir.

This has to be the simplest way, and will be dead accurate:

- fill bucket (water and a bit of liquid detergent)

- afix one end of hose in bucket with tape.

- siphon the hose until it fills.

- hold the other hose end up, and put tape on the hose to mark where the water level is.

- stroll around, when you want to strike a level, raise or lower the hose end until the water level meets the tape mark. There's your level mark.

As long as the hose doesn't get kinked, or you lose too much water, it'll be dead on.

Reply to
Chris Lewis