How to lubricate Aluminum windows?

Page 2 of 2
On 3/25/2012 12:04 PM, George wrote:

Oooo, icky, that stuff gets all over everything it comes in contact with. o_O
TDD
I've seen dieelectric grease at Adavance Auto, cheaper than some other places.

Silicone is the way to go but you need to use more. Best way to do that is use silicone paste. It is commonly sold as dielectric grease or "spark plug boot grease" in an auto parts store.
On 3/24/2012 2:54 PM, Bob-tx wrote:

Use soap. Wipe all touching, moving parts with bar soap. It does not attract dust, etc.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .

But will wash away at the first heavy dew.
On 3/25/2012 9:45 AM, DanG wrote:

Don't you think that the chemical makeup of the soap could corrode the aluminum? o_O
TDD
"Bob-tx" <Live Spam free> wrote:

Sliders? I used to use some kind of stick. Looked like wax. How about a crayon. I also used a spray oil with tfe in it. Solder seal product. Of course, that always needs cleaning and redone.
Greg
On 3/25/2012 11:55 AM, gregz wrote:

That stick was probably "saw wax". o_O
http://preview.tinyurl.com/7a9jn5y
TDD

I use the white votive candles that you get in the supermarket. So far, so good. Things slide but don't get all gooed up like some spray lubricants do. I use the same candles to rub on screws to make them easier to screw in.
-- Bobby G.

Great! thanks for the suggestion, got those candles around for power outage emergencies. Should have remembered, wax on the old wooden drawers. With all those metal channels forgot about wood on wood.
I used to use soap for wood screws, went in slick, over time STAYED the soap dried and those screws stayed in.

a ha! nothing like a little corrosion to rough up the surface.
"Bob-tx" <Live Spam free> wrote:

I get good results lubing stuff like that with a light coat of wax.
Just ball up some wax paper and rub down all the sliding surfaces.
If you have a corrosion problem... you may be on your own.
The wax paper also works well on double hung wood windows, and other large bearing surface area, light load applications that need to remain clean. (Use common sense, good judgment far as getting splinters...)
Erik
On Saturday, March 24, 2012 at 3:54:32 PM UTC-4, Bob-tx wrote:

How bout using soap?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Then open/close window few times.
On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 17:26:27 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Watch Uncle Monster reccomend saw wax. Hard to get into cracks, but works nicely, would you say, UM?
I've had good results with spray silicone.
--
.
Christopher A. Young