How to lubricate Aluminum windows?

We had our house built in 1996, so it is now 17 years old. Aluminum windows were installed.

Some windows that are seldom used are difficult to open, I think, and hope, that lubing them will fix that problem. I just don't know what kind of lube to use. I know WD 40 is a no, and I don't want something that will be a dirt & dust magnet.

What do you guys suggest? Oh yeah, and thanks.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

"Bob-tx" wrote in news:4f6e2680$0$12392$ snipped-for-privacy@news.suddenlink.net:

I'd use graphite powder. Test it by using a pencil (a real pencil, and then the writing part) on the parts that rub.

Reply to
Han

Exterior window mechanisms need to be cleaned of atmospheric deposits and rust. This is why Pella Window Corp. recommends WD-40 for its casement mechanisms.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Second the wax suggestion; my ancient Sears aluminum ladder recommends exactly that.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Wax or silicone spray

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My vote, also. My wife cleaned all our windows last summer and I rubbed paraffin in all the rubbing surfaces then slid the windows back and forth several times. They still work perfectly a year later.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

"Don Phillipson" wrote in news:jkla8h$mg2$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

No. It says in 4 different places: CaUtion: Do not allow panels to soak in water. only use the cleaning solutions listed above. never use scouring compounds, sandpaper, gasoline, benzene, acetone, carbon tetrachloride, de-icing fluids, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, armor all®, Lysol®, Simple green®, wood wash, MeK or other strong solvents, wD-40®, vegetable oil, lime-a-way®, or highly alkaline or abrasive cleaning agents. Do not power-wash.

Reply to
Han

"Don Phillipson" wrote in news:jkla8h$mg2$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

YUK. WD-40 gums up and does attract and hold dust and dirt. it's mostly kerosene.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I used to do that with my camping trailer(5th wheel) Does not get messy. It just works good.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

By mechanism he may mean the crank part, not the panels.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hmm. WHY are they difficult to open? Several reasons come to mind:

  1. The tracks and other parts that slide together are dirty.
  2. The aluminum itself has become corroded.
  3. The foundation of the house has shifted causing a warping of the tracks.

Lubrication is not the best answer for any of the three, although it may help.

Try first a detailed cleaning, complete with a mildly acetic solution to knock down any aluminum oxide buildup. Perhaps even steel wool on the really rough areas.

Reply to
HeyBub

I once did commercial glass work, store fronts and automatic doors. I worked with a lot of aluminum sliding parts and the best thing to lube sliding aluminum parts with is saw wax. It can be obtained from most good hardware suppliers and it will prove to be useful for many things. One tube will last a typical homeowner for years. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

In AZ, the silicon spray lube lasts approx 6 months, before need to reapply. Any idae how long for saw wax?

Reply to
Robert Macy

Use soap. Wipe all touching, moving parts with bar soap. It does not attract dust, etc.

Reply to
DanG

Well, it's waterproof and doesn't wash away with plain water. A thin film doesn't attract any more dust than any other lube I've used but you can wipe the surface clean with a rag and reapply as needed. How long it lasts really depends on use, I've never really considered how long because anytime I'd service equipment, I'd clean and reapply the saw wax to the needed parts. Oh yea, you should really learn the difference between "silicon" and "silicone", sorry, I have to tease you about that. I doubt you would want to bump into a woman equipped with "silicon" implants. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I know the difference, but sadly my keyboard doesn't! In defense, it's getting old and seems to skip charactrs.

Reply to
Robert Macy

But will wash away at the first heavy dew.

Reply to
krw

I have never seen wd -40 gum up. I have seen it dry and leave a dry varnish like protective film, but certainly is not intended for lubrication.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

A better product, crc 2-26 , and safe on plastics.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Sliders? I used to use some kind of stick. Looked like wax. How about a crayon. I also used a spray oil with tfe in it. Solder seal product. Of course, that always needs cleaning and redone.

Greg

Reply to
gregz