How to loosen/break PVC glue?

I am replacing a double kitchen sink with a single one. I need to move the drain over a bit to the left so it is under the hole in the new one. It might actually line up if I could just loosen the glue at the top of the trap and rotate it a bit, then reglue it. Can this be done or do I have to cut it hand replace it?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jtpryan

No. It's impossible. Solvent-welded joints are permanent.

Yes.

Doug Miller

PVC or ABS glue isn't glue, it's solvent. The pipes are essentially welded together. You'll have to cut them apart.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

Unlike traditional glue, PVC cement contains a solvent (usually methyl ethyl ketone) and PVC resin. The solvent actually dissolves some of the PVC part and itegrates it into the bond which is also PVC from the resin within the solvent. The result is a very robust joint that cannot be "undone". This must be cut to be replaced or adjusted.

Reply to
ceraboy

Only way to loosen solvent welded PVC is with a sawz-all. ;)

Reply to
Kevin

NOT TRUE at all. though it makes more sense to cut these 1 1/2 pipes I have had great success breaking apart 2 1/2" and up ABS pipe I normally cut the pipe I no longer need and then use a hammer and screwdriver to split apart the joints. No nice but sometimes it saves a lot more work when space is an issue and you can't remove all of the old joints.

Reply to
HotRod

The Inlaws' house settles each year enough to break the connection on a pvc connect under the house...........they know it's leaking because of the flooded yard. This does not by any means indicate that you should have your house settle to achieve your goal. but may likely be more of an indicator of a poor connection made by a less than adequate plumber.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

perhaps your teen aged daughters hair dryer will allow you to encapsulate the pipe in a heat bath and perhaps allow you to bend it a tad.

Reply to
bumtracks