How to lift packages of shingles up to roof???

Hmmm. I see your point! I did read that wrong. It's probably more like Sergeant or Private First Class exercise. Certainly not Major.

R R
Reply to
RicodJour

If climbing a ladder empty-handed is "major physical labor"... perhaps you should consider joining WeightWatchers.

"Major physical labor"! Sheesh. Get off the couch more.

Doug Miller

If you are doing anything but a small roof, have the shingles delivered. They have a boom conveyor and deliver the shingles right to the roof. Saves a huge amount of time and work! Rooftop delivery is usually free with most orders. You could probably pay a small delivery charge to have smaller orders delivered too?

When I ordered the shingles for our garage, I still hadn't finished sheathing the roof. So, I just had them drop the shingles inside the garage. I had scaffolding setup next to the roof, so I would set 2-3 bundles of shingles on the scaffold (don't overload it!), then climb up and lift them the rest of the way to the roof. It worked great.

Several years ago I was installing shingles on a storage shed. I simply opened the bundles, grabbed a few shingles, draped them over one shoulder, and climbed a ladder to the roof. A few at a time is slower, but much easier to manage.

I have also seen "ladder hoists" that somehow attach to a standard extension ladder. You set the shingles (or lumber, etc.) on the hoist, and hoist them up to the roof. Obviously this would work best if there was one person on the ground, and another on the roof.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Well, I see you're a physically fit active guy. That makes everyone else lazy now does it?

I typically am pretty active, high energy and get a lot of stuff done in a day as well as move very quickly almost all the time (when my back is not giving me problems as it is this week). does this make me lazy because I don;t go up and down ladders and stairs a lot?

I think I am a bit overweight and that is not good, but it does not make me lazy by any means. I might call *you* lazy too if I saw how you move, work, and play also. But that would only be to make a point.

I have no idea how the folks on the newsgroup can decide what another person is like merely by extracting it from their imagination.

Now, I apologize if I am not Charles Atlas, and that I have a wife who caters to my appetite. But that doesn;t by any means make me Lazy.

I am 6' tall and weigh about 200lbs. A bit heavy as I said before.

My job entails a lot of driving, a lot of walking (very fast paced normally) and a lot of getting in and out of cars. This is what I do to make a living. I am not a roofer, That would be a job for someone who does that stuff for a living. I am not all too sure I'd want to just throw my car needs to just any ol' roofer out there, as well I would hope that a guy who needs a roof would not call a mechanic or electrical technician.................

Back to the original statement I made. Climbing a ladder is definitely something I would consider a major physical activity. Maybe you don't. So let me try and explain it another way.

Climbing a ladder, four feet of it at least, about a hundred times in a 4 hour period, is, and will always be pretty physical. Now keep in mind, that's only lifting yourself..............get back to me with video on how much of a bad-ass you are doing this,................get off the ladder, move it a foot and climb back up and down, move it a foot, climb up, down, move it, etc... do this until you've got to 100 times or so, then talk to me about what major physical labor is... Now,...........add 67lbs of shingles and the extra balancing it takes to do this, and go ahead and climb the extra 6-8 feet of ladder to get the shingles up on the roof...........keeping in mind that you can only stack them suckers so high, before someone has to move those or move the ladder over and start a new stack............40 squares of this will be like taking a nap for you if I recall what lazy is to you.

I stated the "major physical labor" part to make sure someone understood what it is to do something simple, but to do it many times. Most of the DIY'rs are not typical construction grunts, or active gym attendees, but average people. Keep this in mind when you start calling people lazy. I take a small bit of offense to it, however I understand how it could simply not be apparent to simpler minds how much work some things will become if you are not one who makes a living at a particular excersize.

Please forgive me if this is over your head and under your muscle.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

[snip long whine]

Climbing a ladder is not "major physical exercise" for anyone who's even half-way in shape.

Doug Miller

The cost around is about $1 per bundle to have them delivered directly onto the roof. At 3 bundles per square, that means that you are paying about $50 to have the shingles delivered for a somewhat typical 17 square, 2 story house. That is a bargain - I would never haul 50 bundles up a ladder to save $50.

Good luck, Gidoen

Reply to
Gideon

Doug Miller

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:49:50 GMT, MUADIB® scribbled this interesting note:

Active gym attendees couldn't do it either. I've seen many try and fail to keep up. It takes a kind of endurance, a core strength to be able to perform this kind of labor and it is not to be underestimated. It looks easy. The people who do it every day can make it look easy because they are practiced. I've been doing it for a very good portion of my life and it is hard work. It ain't rocket science or particle physics, but I don't think too many rocket scientists or physicists could do this kind of work either.

John Willis

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:39:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) scribbled this interesting note:

Doing it once it is not. Do it a hundred times, continuously, and it is. Climb the ladder, step off, walk across the roof, turn around, walk back, climb back onto the ladder, climb down, and repeat this a hundred times. It is, with those kinds of repetitions, major exercise. Then do it with anywhere from sixty to a hundred extra pounds on your shoulder. I hope your knees are in good shape, cause if they aren't you'll be in serious pain at the end of the day...another hint that this is indeed serious exercise.

But then again, perhaps it isn't for you. I wish I were in that kind of shape. But I've only been doing this exact kind of work for over a couple of decades now.

John Willis

On your shoulder and up the ladder you go. Yes, one bundle at a time.

Reply to
yaofeng

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:32:21 -0500, Bob G. wrote:

When I was in my mid 20's I got a job working for a roofer. When I was hired, I was told I would be roofing. To me, that meant nailing shingles on a roof, along with doing tearoffs, etc. The first day on the job he told me to haul shingled to the roof. I was taking a half bundle at a time. He came out and started hollaring that I should be taking two bundles at a time, but one at a time would be alright if I went real fast. By the end of the day I could barely walk. A few days later, and another job, he started hollaring again, and said that from now on I had to do two bundles at a time. I did it a few trips up the ladder and then the boss left to go check on his other work crews on other jobs. As soon as he left, the other guys told me that in another week, he'll want me to do three bundles at a time. They said he had a guy that did 3 at a time, but the guy ended up in a hospital from doing it, and never came back due to back damage. Sure enough, a week later were on a three story house and he comes over and tells me that from now on I have to do 3 at a time. I told him to take 3 bundles up to show me how. He refused, so I grabbed two and started up the ladder. He started hollaring, and I told him to kiss my ass. He told me that unless I took 3 at a time, I was fired. I told him he didn't have to fire me and said "I quit". H told me to work the rest of the day if I wanted my paycheck. Ten minutes later he handed me my paycheck, which was paid for the rest of that day. He left right after that. Even though I was supposed to work 2 more hours, I was paid, and I left too.

The next day he called me and threatened to sue me for those two hours. I told him to kiss my ass and hung up. I never did hear from him again.

So, this means that YOU also have to carry three bundles at a time. Just be sure your health insurance is paid up to date.

Reply to
joeshonner

of course, if he has them delivered, some companies have that nice coveyor belt to put them up at him.

Reply to
steve

Or as mine, had about 15 strong backs (all illegals I think - none could speak English). Metal Shingles that look like tile.

Reply to
Rich256

replying to Andy Hill, cindy coleman wrote: how much do it cost for rooftop delivery

Reply to
cindy coleman

I be gettin mine deelivered on da roof fo bout foty, fitty dollas.

Reply to
gfretwell

Agreed, arrange for delivery to the roof, preferably just in the nick of time, as you are ready to install them.

The other option would be to rent a shingle ladder / hoist, but even doing it that way is a lot of work.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Another option would be splitting a package in half, or so, and bring them up manually (various options).

Reply to
Bill

replying to cindy coleman, David Choo wrote: HomeDepot only charges $55 for local delivery and $0.50 per bundle. Yippie! My roof needs 45 bundles so the total charges is about $80. Lowes does not provide such service.

Reply to
David Choo

I got a new roof last month, 2 story colonial, and see when I looked up the shingles that Lowes does deliver. Roofer had a motorized lift on a ladder but could not get it started so they carried up by hand. Awful lot of work. I don't think I could get one bundle up the one story to attached garage roof.

Reply to
Frank