how to level a long chalkline?

Page 3 of 3

Six foot level on a 20 foot run?
Gesh (sic)

Ok I'll spell it out for you...You take the 6 foot level , get the bubble between the 2 lines and mark it with a pensil..Slide the level down to the edg of your line and repeat the process 4 times ..DONE..Cut the rotting T111 off...Gesh...Why make a project of something as simple as that..It will be close enough for the eye...He is only cutting off rotting wood , not laying out a foundation....

Hey, cut it with a butter knife, I don't care. Sounds like plumb and level are terms not in your vocabulary.
Steve

Measure with a micrometer Mark with chalk Cut with an ax

and hammer to fit.

I think I would measure down from the soffit at each end and pop a chalk line. Then measure a couple places in the middle as a sanity check. "Level" is not as important as being the same as the roof line, That will be the visual reference.
On Jun 17, 8:25pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

m...
Exactly! My roof line on one side looks great. Just don't try to level anything to it. New gutters had to be installed with drain on "wrong" end (for me) due to that.
Harry K
ben wrote:

As DanG mentioned, you could measure from a consistent height on the building. A story pole is in order:
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/PDF/Free/021197070.pdf
--Winston
ben wrote:

Use a water level to mark as many reference marks as necessary and connect the marks with a straightedge.
replying to ben, Popeye81$ wrote: I would find the center of the 27' which is 13.5 and go up 20 inches there . And go up 20 inches on each end - and then chalk line half one way and the the other half the other way ... If I made sense ... This is pretty easy stuff here
On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 2:44:05 PM UTC-4, Popeye81$ wrote:

It's been 7 years since Ben asked his question. The T1-11 is now rotted up to the roof. Why didn't you answer sooner?