How to kill those "Klunkers"

Page 5 of 5

Missed this the first time through. Anyone else think this is just too ironic for words given... well unlimited credit.. of the government and Fed.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

How about, for example, an early 1970's Caddilac getting 10 MPG? That's 5,000 gallons of gasoline, should any 1970's Caddilacs be able to run another 50,000 miles.
5,000 gallons of gasoline is about 120 barrels. Crude has been around $70 at some recent time or another, meaning energy cost of about $8,000.
Of course, cars with better efficiency than a 1974 DeVille will consume less than $8,000 of energy (before fuel taxes) to drive 50,000 miles, but still quite a few thousand dollars.
Do you really think that much is spent on energy to build a new car, with so much of its cost to dealer going to wages and salaries and perks, worker benefits, corporate taxes, liability insurance, advertising, etc.? I hope this gives some idea on energy consumption by manufacturing.
Also consider the fact that older cars, even for a given amount of energy consumption, produce plenty of pollution. Modern steel mills and electric generating stations are comparatively clean, since it's mainly internal combustion combustion engines that produce nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbon vapors that are essential for the formation of the worst air pollutant in densely populated areas - lower atmospheric ozone.
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 02:43:59 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

The problem with that is a 1970 (or even a 1983) car is not eligible for CARS. The cut off is 25 years old

It is being re-used. The scrap metal will go to China and in a couple of months we'll have new toasters and can openers made from '84 Gran Marquis.
And, our toast will taste like sodium silicate for the first few slices.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Remember what the Japs did with our empty beer cans before WW2. History can repeat and usually does.
Actually, I don't remember. Maybe you'll be kind enough to tell us.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

They made toys and other stuff. It was all marked: "Made in Occupied Japan."