How to kill those "Klunkers"

They aren't doing anything that fancy here. The paper has an article showing the whole car going into a chipper. All they are doing is draining the fluids. They showed a Mercedes SEL going in and coming out as kibble and bits. I am really surprised that they didn't take off the body parts that were OK. All the clunker law requires is that they destroy the engine and the VIN plate, everything else can be salvaged http://gfretwell.com/ftp/HR3246%20clunker%20bill.doc
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 4, 1:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1914367,00.html
Add pictures here
✖

Was there something specific in that article that you wanted to point out?
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:35:25 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I imagine it was "One common method is to drain the car's oil and flood the engine with sodium silicate, or liquid glass. Dealers then turn the car on and rev the engine to let the solution harden. In just a few minutes, the car becomes inoperable."
Then they can fill out the "destroyed" affidavit. I believe the guys around here just drive them to the recycler and he ground them up. They had pictures of them lining the road.
Add pictures here
✖

I suppose they do the silicate thing when they are going to part out the carcass. The guy here is grinding them up and shipping them out by rail in hopper cars. That is all the news is talking about. There may be a junk yard somewhere around that is parting cars out but I don't know of one. The "beautiful place" people made them all go away. The dealers just want them gone so they can get their $4500
Add pictures here
✖
Unbelievable. Killing perfectly usable vehicles. What a waste.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I know people who say this is short sighted because people with families and little money want those big cars to move the gang around. The last 2 democratic presidents really look like big business republicans.
Add pictures here
✖

Hey, don't be so critical. Our politicians are the best that big businesses can buy.
Add pictures here
✖

Or unions or trial lawyers, or.. My contention is that the only difference between Dems and GOP is who owns them lock, stock, and barrel.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Well, yeah. So you've got to choose: Unions, Teachers, Lawyers, and Environmentalists on the one hand, verses Businesses, God, and Guns on the other.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The businesses (car makers) went bankrupt. Their employees (the unions) kept their jobs. Hardly a "Republican" tactic.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Seems like someone else is catching on. There has been little actual difference between either republicans and democrats for a long long time. All of the red team blue team stuff is to just keep the clueless kool aid drinker electorate distracted.
Add pictures here
✖

What ever happened to the "reuse" concept to be green and save the planet?
Add pictures here
✖

How do you suggest that we reuse, in an evironmentally friendly way, the engine from an old gas guzzler?
Add pictures here
✖
Load the vehicle with Mexicans, and send it south.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Newspaper here said around 2/3 of the vehicles being murdered are trucks and such. Plenty of broke tradesmen out there who would like a newer truck than the even-older one they are driving. Even with the $4500 check (which is probably added back to the price of a new car), there are a lot of people out there that can't afford to buy new. When you are thinning a herd, you don't kill the middle-age ones, you kill the oldest and sickest. There is a lot of iron driving around on the streets here that is even older and more polluting than the vehicles being destroyed. They should at least SORT the trade-ins, and give the ones with usable life left in them to Goodwill 'Wheels to Work' and similar programs, that give cars to people so they can get jobs and get off welfare. For people that have nothing but shoes, even a 15 mpg car looks pretty damn good, if it means they can get to and from work. Don't worry, the pending return of $4 gas will keep them from driving anywhere but to work and the grocery store. If there is no local donation program, have a first-come, first-serve swap arrangement, where people with NO money, can bring in an older and higher mileage car, and let that take the place of the one on the condemned list. Only destroy the oldest and crappiest ones.
Call me a luddite- destroying working tools and equipment is a sin, and bad for the environment. 'Use it up, wear it out', etc.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:47:06 -0700 (PDT), in alt.home.repair, DerbyDad03

Drive it. Seriously. Driving an old gas guzzler 50,000 miles has less impact on the environment than building a new car.
Of course some of these "old gas guzzlers" being destroyed by the CARS program might have got as good or better fuel economy than a new car. Didn't the VW diesels of the mid-80s get 60+ MPG? Where can I buy a new car today that gets 60+ MPG?
CARS: Just another corporate welfare program.
--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
snipped-for-privacy@asgard.slcc.edu wrote:

Technically it is a union (UAW) welfare plan. These are Democrats we are talking about afterall. Please try to remember who has bought of which party (g).
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.
✖

well it has gotten the auto companies selling vehicles again.
if government had done nothing we would be in a depression today.
although this serious recession has probably changed behavior for at least a generation.
unlimited credit isnt a health thing.......
Add pictures here
✖
bob haller wrote:

You know this how? That was certainly the spin when the government said they had to act immediately to transfer wealth to their owners but who knows what would have actually happened.

Add pictures here
✖