How to kill those "Klunkers"

Ron

Was there something specific in that article that you wanted to point out?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I suppose they do the silicate thing when they are going to part out the carcass. The guy here is grinding them up and shipping them out by rail in hopper cars. That is all the news is talking about. There may be a junk yard somewhere around that is parting cars out but I don't know of one. The "beautiful place" people made them all go away. The dealers just want them gone so they can get their $4500

Reply to
gfretwell

I imagine it was "One common method is to drain the car's oil and flood the engine with sodium silicate, or liquid glass. Dealers then turn the car on and rev the engine to let the solution harden. In just a few minutes, the car becomes inoperable."

Then they can fill out the "destroyed" affidavit. I believe the guys around here just drive them to the recycler and he ground them up. They had pictures of them lining the road.

Reply to
gfretwell

Agreed. This is the biggest waste of money and equipment the gubmint has come up with yet.

It's redistribution.

If the program ends up being $3 billion, that's roughly $10 from each citizen. If all the participants get the $4500 discount/credit, that's

666,000 people that will directly benefit. Or 99.8% of the population will pay to benefit 0.02%.
Reply to
HeyBub

Don't forget all those foreign auto workers.

At least I bought an American car ... well north american anyway.

40% US 35% Canadian and the rest from Mexico.
Reply to
gfretwell

You are not counting the benefit to the automobile industry and its employees who will continue to have jobs.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

And that's a good thing exactly how?

Reply to
HeyBub

Unbelievable. Killing perfectly usable vehicles. What a waste.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I know people who say this is short sighted because people with families and little money want those big cars to move the gang around. The last 2 democratic presidents really look like big business republicans.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hey, don't be so critical. Our politicians are the best that big businesses can buy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The businesses (car makers) went bankrupt. Their employees (the unions) kept their jobs. Hardly a "Republican" tactic.

Reply to
HeyBub

Seems like someone else is catching on. There has been little actual difference between either republicans and democrats for a long long time. All of the red team blue team stuff is to just keep the clueless kool aid drinker electorate distracted.

Reply to
George

Or unions or trial lawyers, or.. My contention is that the only difference between Dems and GOP is who owns them lock, stock, and barrel.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Well, yeah. So you've got to choose: Unions, Teachers, Lawyers, and Environmentalists on the one hand, verses Businesses, God, and Guns on the other.

Reply to
HeyBub

What ever happened to the "reuse" concept to be green and save the planet?

Reply to
Phisherman

How do you suggest that we reuse, in an evironmentally friendly way, the engine from an old gas guzzler?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Load the vehicle with Mexicans, and send it south.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Newspaper here said around 2/3 of the vehicles being murdered are trucks and such. Plenty of broke tradesmen out there who would like a newer truck than the even-older one they are driving. Even with the $4500 check (which is probably added back to the price of a new car), there are a lot of people out there that can't afford to buy new. When you are thinning a herd, you don't kill the middle-age ones, you kill the oldest and sickest. There is a lot of iron driving around on the streets here that is even older and more polluting than the vehicles being destroyed. They should at least SORT the trade-ins, and give the ones with usable life left in them to Goodwill 'Wheels to Work' and similar programs, that give cars to people so they can get jobs and get off welfare. For people that have nothing but shoes, even a 15 mpg car looks pretty damn good, if it means they can get to and from work. Don't worry, the pending return of $4 gas will keep them from driving anywhere but to work and the grocery store. If there is no local donation program, have a first-come, first-serve swap arrangement, where people with NO money, can bring in an older and higher mileage car, and let that take the place of the one on the condemned list. Only destroy the oldest and crappiest ones.

Call me a luddite- destroying working tools and equipment is a sin, and bad for the environment. 'Use it up, wear it out', etc.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers