How to kill those "Klunkers"

Page 2 of 5
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It was just a comment on typical liberal thinking who can't seem to describe where the money comes from so they need to use a metaphor like "we found it".

Can't you argue a point without introducing strawmen?
AZ Nomad wrote:

Sure, and I did. This thread regarded liberal thinking (in case you didn't notice liberals control the entire Federal government). So my comment about typical liberal thinking is quite valid. I did notice that you seem to like to declaring things are "irrelevent" when they are touching a nerve.

They found it in our pockets

as opposed to? Do anybody really need it explained that govt. either taxes or borrows?
AZ Nomad wrote:

Well, lately, they are doing the electronic equivalent of just running the printing presses. And the world is noticing- the exchange rates against the other major currencies are going down. Bankers know a defacto devaluation when they see it.
Things will probably hold together, sort of, for the 20 or 30 years I probably have left. But I fear what middle age holds for my little niece and nephew. Good thing their daddy is teaching them how to to plant and grow veggies on a production basis, and tend chickens. At least they won't starve.
-- aem sends....

We'll be the North American Britain by then. Basking in our former glory, doing okay but not as good as in our hay-day, and plugging along.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

That would be an improvement over the insane borrowing. Both devalue the money, but the latter requires payback.
I predicted raging inflation a decade ago; how else can the U.S. deal with the ten trillion dollar debt? Made it worth the equivelent of 100 billion!
AZ Nomad wrote:

Remember that when your retirement plan sends you a check based on what money is worth today, and a loaf of bread is fifty bucks....
-- aem sends...

If you're investing in stock, especially foreign stocks, that should actually work out OK for you.
If you have some other kind of plan... well...
nate

Some of your portfolio should be in gold, ammo and MREs
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Gold is useful only if there is a functioning economy that considers gold valuable.
Ammo and MREs are useful to tide you over until you get your first crop in. But to do that, you also need farming tools, seed, arable land, and farming skills.
-- Doug

And only if you have it in your hot little hands when The End Comes. I have never understood how gold held by dealer is going to do you any good if the reason the dealer is selling it (econ collapse) comes about.

Just break into your nearest hardware and you will get everything you need for a personal plot. Since, if The End Comes parks, great expanses of green around building, etc. will suddenly become available, I think the land part is largely a non-issue.. outside of the deserts of course.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

In that regard, silver is probably more practical than gold. It is hard to make change. You are not going to give someone a Krugerrand for a loaf of bread but you might give them a silver dime or two. I have a friend who swears .22 ammo might pass as currency. The .22 rifle is probably the most prevalent gun in the US and you can use it to feed your family. I am not sure about that but I do have several thousand rounds, just in case. It is worth a lot more than GM stock

I agree, people will be tilling up those useless lawns and planting vegetables when things get tough.
N8N wrote:

Careful, living on the Right Side of The Pond, I invested on the Left Side as I thought that the was on the way down internationally (as it was). My original investments on the Left Side were doing well until the crunch. I had too much in banks, Lehman in particular. That one cost me more than an average new auto.
Clot wrote:

Well, yeah, that's the trick. if you're trying to offset a currency that's going down by investing in a currency that's going up, or at least not going down as much, you have to get it right.
...and if you're going to ask advice on that, you probably want to ask someone more tapped in than I...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Quite, I got it wrong!
Nate Nagel wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

I'm not but thanks for the advise!

<SNIP to here to edit for space>

It will come from you and me. It's our money.
Meanwhile, one question I think worth asking is: How much value did the cars being clunkerjunked have above their scrap value? If that exceeds how much more they would have cost to operate through the remainders of their natural lives than their replacements would cost for same miles, then America as a whole is losing from the destruction of these cars. (Decrease the fuel cost difference by the loss of the portion of fuel taxes actually used to effectively serve the taxpayers.)
I would have had this program changed to require a bigger upgrade in fuel economy, minimum of either 70% MPG improvement or both 9 MPG improvement and 50% MPG improvement by the new car over the destroyed one.
(I would have improvement by 50-69% but by under 9 MPG qualify for a smaller rebate, to provide an incentive to take an easily available larger improvement.)