How to kill those "Klunkers"

Page 1 of 5
Sodium Silicate.
The government mandates that cars traded in under the "Cash for Clunkers" program be permanently disabled and specifies that the method used is to replace the oil with Sodium Silicate then run the engine until it freezes.
This has caught the suppliers of the substance by surprise. One company that sold maybe 150 gallons of the stuff a year has already sold 15,000 gallons!
From the Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124934376942503053.html

It may have caught some by surprise, but it has "stimulated" others into action: http://www.castlepackspower.com/Catalog/ClunkerBomb /
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Heh! Find a need and fill it, I always say.

I'm guessing that the first few times a mechanic gets to do this to a car could be fun.
After years of getting filthy and frustrated making old clunkers run, it must feel good to exact a little revenge and rev them up until they seize solid and die, while he sits there evilly rubbing his hands together and laughing maniacally.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yep. I can see the grin on his face as he watches a 1970 Corvette with 2 4-barrel carbs go through the death-rattle.
HeyBub wrote:

I'm not exactly what you would call a die hard "green" kind of a person, but having learned the ways of thrift and economy from grandparents who survived the great depression of 1929, I can't help but see this as a total waste of otherwise useful resources.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

there own tax money that's being spent. We will all pay for it later. How many of the buyers actually can afford the new cars they are buying? Remember all the homes that they bought and couldn't keep. Will they be working next week or next month. I doubt it. Party on!!!

Very few posts mention that _you and I_ are paying out those bonuses. I hope my neighbor appreciates me helping him buy a new car.
Harry K
harry k wrote:

You seem awfully confused. Obama told us that the government found this money someplace and he is a really smart guy..

Except that he never said any such thing. You need to develop some more plausible lies if you're going to use strawmen as your primary argumentative style.

So where do *you* think the money is coming from?

Doug Miller wrote:

So where do you think the cars are going?
Just came across this and thought it might be of interest:
AZ Nomad wrote:

No strawman involved. They ran through the first billion and Obama said they "found" more money to keep the program going.
And just to give you a chance to enlighten us apparently confused folks where exactly does he actually get the money to pay for these programs?

Please provide the time and place where obama said "I found this money someplace"
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 09:37:52 -0500, AZ Nomad

If you were watching CSpan yesterday afternoon you would have heard where the money is coming from. They are taking it from the renewable energy rebate program. That money will have to be replaced from somewhere but the source of that money is still undetermined. The fact remains that any new spending will simply be piled on top of the $2 trillion deficit and our grand kids will be paying for that for the rest of the century. (assuming there still is a US government to pay back those loans). The unanswered question is how we run the government when China (UK, Germany, Saudi et al) stops renewing their bonds with us. We might be taking $100 dollar bills to the grocery store in wheelbarrows.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Around 5:30 on Wednesday at a local pizza shop that happened to have a TV on. It was the typical liberal "I am such a uber smart person and found money to do this" comment. No clue where he happened to be speaking. The "found" referred to some shell game move it from someplace else deal.
Please answer my question about where he actually gets the money to pay for these programs?

Irrelevent. The claim was that he said "I found this money someplace"
As far as the source, it is the same as everything else congress does: they pay by taxing and borrowing. Is this something that has to be explained to you?

Who cares what he said or did not say. Fact is, this is a redistribution of wealth plan. Short lived (hopefully) program to take our money and help buy new cars for others. Not much different than a Ponzi scheme where we all pay in and a handful of us grab the money and run.

I have always thought that calling anything the government did a Ponzi scheme was an insult to Ponzi. At least he got his "investors" to kick in voluntarily. Try to avoid paying taxes and see how voluntary that is.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.