How to kill poison ivy

Page 1 of 2
Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff came back. What should I try next?
Dick
On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 20:26:50 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

you could try a product called vine-x. www.vine-x.com
Or anything with Triclopyr in it.
-dickm

Well, *my* method is to pull it out by the roots.
I'm immune to the stuff, though. Most people aren't.
Maybe you have a buddy who is?
--
Regards,

Round-up works well on poison ivy. The thing it, you probably need to apply it 2 or 3 times during one growing season and possibly again at the beginning of the next growing season. Poison Ivy is a pretty tough plant, and if even a small root is left barely clinging to life, the plant will re-sprout.
KB
That's been my understanding also. You have to spray several times to actually kill the roots completely.
steve

diesel fuel

Hell no I don't burn anything even if I want not aloud in my area Tony

Do you burn it quietly, if not aloud?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Excellent. You are far more wise than I.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Dick Adams wrote:

URL=Codes%20and%20Standards/Code%20development%20process
Crossbow is another one -- it's a mixture of 2,4-D and triclopyr that may be more effective than just Roundup alone.
As another poster (and the above link) notes, poison ivy is tough stuff--even a trace of root alive will regenerate over a summer plus you may have seed from previous years germinating as well...it's a multi-year project if there's any established colony at all in all likelihood...

In my experience, killing poison ivy is an ongoing chore. Two three times a year make the rounds and kill it when you find it. I use Round Up. As everyone else said, it's tough stuff and the roots are tenatious, besides that, birds eat the berries and spread it around that way. There is no, okay, it's gone forever.
I'm overly sensitive to poison ivy, so killing the stuff is no joke to me.
nancy
Dick Adams wrote:

gasoline

I've had good results with Roundup. You need to apply it strong, like 6%, not the strength used for common weeds. And you may need to apply it more than once if new growth emerges. There are also a variety of brush killer products available that are targeted at tough to kill brush and weeds.

Dick Adams wrote:

be aware if you burn it,the smoke can make you break out just as well as touching it.Had a cousin who had to stay in the hospital because he breathed the smoke from burning poison ivy.We almost lost him.
On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 20:26:50 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:

Established Poison Ivy will require more than one application. New seeds are brought in by the birds along with a bird-dropping fertilizer.
Garlon works well.

Google CALCIDE SOIL STERILIZER