how to kill off a hornet's nets?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Last shot, then I have to get off this durn computer. I did another quick google. Didn't come up with anything in a can but did find an Audobon site that recommended using a Carbon dioxice fire extinguisher. Claimed it would freeze them in their nest. They recommend it for use around bird nesting areas.
however, a quick web check shows they are pretty pricey. Good luck. Sorry for the earlier misinformation, but that's usenet.
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

B-I-G CO2 fire extinguisher?
Ortho Seven sold as a powder or liquid is highly toxic to bees. It is sold as a vegetable spray in a hose attachable bottle, just spray it wet. For ground nests pour in the powder.
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com says... :) :) Todd and Margo Chester wrote: :) > snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote: :) > > Hopkins wrote: :) > >> Todd and Margo Chester wrote: :) > >> :) > >>> Does anyone have a sneaky way to do this that would not involve spraying :) > >>> pesticide and or gasoline into the air? :) > >>> :) > >>> -T :) > >> I dunno. You'll have to start reading labels or call a pro. :) > > :) > > :) > > There are a few brands of wasp freeze sprays. Never used one, they are :) > > pretty expensive compared to the pesticide. If this link works you can :) > > see one example: :) > > :) > > http://www.mastergardening.com/dee-0098.html :) > > :) > > Just don't put your face over the nozzle. LOL :) > > :) > :) > thank you! :) :) Wait, time-out. MISTAKE. I am sure I have heard of freezing the :) things, so I just did a quick google on Wasp and Freeze and posted the :) first thing that came up. However, this product that I linked has :) pesticide. WHen they say freeze they mean that it kills them instantly :) with poison, not that it kills them with cold. :) :) However, I am sure I have seen/heard/dreamed about a product that does :) indeed "freeze with cold" insects....Can anyone help out here? :) :) The older products originally called wasp freeze was mostly ether(sp) they were taken off the market years ago due to environmental/ozone concerns. I really doubt anything you use will effect the sensitive person you have concerns about.. the wasps are outside, they are inside and I am sure they will not sniff around the treated area. If they use hair spray they are putting them self at more risk that what you would use on the wasp nest.... btw if you are dealing with the inverted umbrella nest of a paper wasp, hair spray will probably give you the desired results you want, if it is the larger football shaped/sized nest of bald faced hornets, you may want to spend the money for a pro.
--
Lar

It looks like an up side down swirl of gray cotton candy. Very water soluble. When I water hose down the outside, an inner nest is revealed that looks like a large wasp's nest. The little bugger themselves like to enter the nest through a small hole in the bottom. They look like a house fly only twice as long and half as wide.
-T
Todd and Margo Chester wrote:

Oh, one more piece of information. The nest is 20 feet straight above my swamp cooler.
-T
says... :) :) > use on the wasp nest.... btw if you are dealing with the inverted :) > umbrella nest of a paper wasp, hair spray will probably give you the :) > desired results you want, if it is the larger football shaped/sized nest :) > of bald faced hornets, you may want to spend the money for a pro. :) :) It looks like an up side down swirl of gray cotton candy. :) Very water soluble. When I water hose down the outside, :) an inner nest is revealed that looks like a large wasp's nest. :) The little bugger themselves like to enter the nest through a small :) hole in the bottom. They look like a house fly only twice as :) long and half as wide. :) :) -T :) Sounds like bald faced hornet, which is actually not a hornet, but a type of yellow jacket. You probably can get them to move by just constantly spraying them away with water hose, as long as it is not a large nest, but they might just move to a more undesirable place than where they are, or they may move, never to be seen again. Proper treatment would probably put you in harms way if you have to get on a ladder, and bald faced hornets are a night flyers, so a night attack is not guaranteeing safety..the pros will have the equipment to get rid of them , but it bites paying $50+ for a guy to spend 30 seconds on the job. Also, people definitely can have sensitivities to chemicals (not just pesticides), but in 18 years, even when after I finish doing a treatment on a home the home owner comes up with , "I'm very sensitive to chemicals, will I be OK?", I have yet to have someone call back stating they had problems.
--
Lar

Todd and Margo Chester wrote:

Have the one who's allergic spend a couple of days in a motel?

Presumably you'll go on vacation sometime this year. Spray the nest the morning you leave.
I don't like to mess with hornets. I use Raid wasp/hornet killer spray a few minutes after sundown.
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:31:08 -0700, Todd and Margo Chester

My favorite way is to take a small high speed fan (available at Radio shack. the 4 inch one works nice) and mount it near the nest (a 2X4 with the fan at one end stuck in a bucket of sand works). TUrn the fan on and as they exit or enter the nest they get sucked in and chopped up. A big nest will take a day to depopulate. I guess you could also use your shop vac and spray some poison in it at the end

Todd and Margo Chester wrote:

Is there any need to get rid of them?
When I need to get rid of a wasp nest in a high-traffic area, I use insecticide dust. Sevin dust works; I usually use methoxychlor because I have a big bag of it. The insects get it on their feet and track it into the nest and track it around and it kills the whole hive. You want something that's not too fast-acting.
Best regards, Bob
A question about getting rid of A wasps nest without using chemicals was asked and to this I say: To do this you have to be fast and fearless but it works.
1. Get A plastic bag of a size that will contain the nest without being too unwieldy.You will have only one chance.
2. In the early morning hours before the sun comes up and A cool damp morning is best, Use A ladder to get next to the nest, put the bag around the nest as gently as you can and tie it off with a twist tie or A zip tie as fast as you can. The little buggers will be trapped in the bag and when the oxygen runs out so will their luck. You can leave the bag in place or break off the stem and remove the nest from the rafter. Make sure there are no hole's in the bag and the bag is strong enough to stand up to the nest dropping into it if you decide to remove it. I would just leave the bag in place for A day or 2 until they die and then remove it to the refuse bin. There is A spray out there that encases the nest in A foam substance also. You spray it into the entrance and it seals it up.Your house guests are then trapped in the nest. Foam insulation might work. I have A professional foam gun that works in any position so I might be inclined to give it A try on hard to remove nest's but do-it-yourself cans need to be held upside down and that might be tough and painful to do if you are not quick enough.
Good Luck! H.R.
i cant think of anything non chemical that will kill a hornet. when we get those big round paper nests to close , i put gas in my sprayer ,go uot and night and spray a good dose in the entrance. we get bald faced hornets here and they will chase you if your 50 yrds away and disturb them. lucas
I just got rid of one. In the dark they dont attack, so I went up on a ladder at night, aimed a can of insecticide into it, and blasted them.
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:31:08 -0700, Todd and Margo Chester