How to kill hornets - special situation

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

shoots from a distance and then expands into foam. Do is at night when they are in and shoot it into the entrance hole.

It's time to consider paying a pro to do the job.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Drill a hole. Drop firecracker in. Do every night. Maybe they will get tired of it. Of course if you start a fire under the stairs that will at least get rid of them.
I had a large PT jungle gym once that wasps/bees decided to build a nest in a small one exit "cave". Went in evening and snuck up on them. Lit and entire pack of firecrackers, tossed in and slammed a presized cover of duct tape over. Went back and pulled tape off. Duct tape sticky was covered with parts. Believe it or not a few survived. They like staggered on what legs they had left to the edge of the hole, hobbled off the edge and fell to the ground. Funny as hell.
In general I never bother them and will usually work around them but it was on a playset. One of the kids was running around doing kid stuff and threatened them in their opinion. Got stung.

Wait til after dark, so all the hornets are "home"... If you can get the spray into there , thru a crack(s) just use the can and let 'em have it with about half the can (stay "upwind)..then head inside. If you can't get the spray inside that way, slip the "tube" you mention into the crack. Use a can of Walgreens "Flying Insect" killer (not wasp spray) and shoot it thru the tube.
Do it again the next night..etc til they're gone. I did this for a nest in a roof/soffit. It took 3-4 nights to get em all

If this is a fully developed hornet's nest it may be as big as a basketball and you will not get the poison inside unless you punch a hole in it. I managed to kill one by poking a hole in the nest at night with a 10' stick of electrical conduit and then pouring malathion down the conduit directly into the nest. (with a funnel). I slid it in and out as I went to get all layers of the nest. The next day there were about 1000 dead hornets under the nest.
On Jun 24, 10:46pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Ive killed maybe 20 nests over the years with Ortho Seven, Usualy I pour power at daytime, throwing a plastic drop cloth ofer the area will contain the carnage.You might feel safer at night. Ive also had luck with Sevin liqued, When it dries is when I believe it works, its sold in a bottle you attach to a hose but the powder is more concentrate and effective. Fill a meat baster with sevin and squit in, then leave. Even at the entrance the powder is brought into the nest, it can take a few aplications if you dont get much in.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Pipe your car or lawn tractor exhaust under the steps and let it run a while.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

    I almost hate to suggest the following, for I am sure I will be blasted. It may also not be appropriate for your location.
If you can pour something into the hole, a small amount of gasoline will get rid of the hornets. I do not think it kills them so much as the smell drives them out. In my case I had a hole in the back yard and used a funnel and a couple ounces of gas.
Ken wrote:

Sounds like a really, really bad idea. Not knowing structure or air-flow, it allows for collection of vapor and possible fire. There are good products, intended for the job and safe to use.
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 07:37:52 -0500, against all advice, something

Ammonia and chlorine bleach make chlorine gas.
Just sayin' . . .
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.humor . best-of-usenet/browse_thread/thread/31053844a12578b2/98382ad748cbceb7
On Jun 24, 10:46pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Wait until night, then duct tape all the cracks except one small hole. Stick the nozzle of a spray can of insecticide in the small hole, start spraying, and beat on the steps. If they can't get out the spray will get them all. Red
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've had a similar situation several times. Wasps nest in the crosstie retaining walls all around my home. Vicious little bastards.
I use an insect fogger, taped to a long pipe or conduit. turn it on, then hold it up to the access hole until it stops. You may be able to rest it against - or on - something so you can back off further. It works for me.
As others have said, at night, or the coolest time of day is best.
Another thing I've done that is satisfying though less effective: Get your electric leaf vaccum, the one with the 4-ft long by 4" diameter suction nozzle. Connect and extension cord, turn the switch on to high, but don't plug it in. Prop the sucking end up so it's at their entrance hole. then walk back and plug the unit in. As the critters try to enter or leave, they get sucked in and mulched. I had a large conical pile of yellow wasp pieces after 30 minutes or so. All it does is reduce the population though.
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 23:46:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hornet spray killer does the job.
On Jun 24, 10:46pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Seal up the whole stairway airtight with plastic sheeting. Now get about 5 or 6 aerosol "bug bomb" cans and gas them to death under the plastic by releasing the bug bombs under the sealed plastic. Leave the plastic in place for a few days so they are entrapped within the poison. Nothing will live through that. Make sure the plastic entirely seals the stairs by duct taping it to the house and slab, etc. Additionally you can pump hornet liguid with an atomizer (a paint sprayer) under the plastic, they gotta breath and eat all that poison some time.

Use clear plastic that lets in light so they have a desire to exit their nest into the poison vapors.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Caulk all the cracks or use Great Stuff foam.
Hipupchuck wrote:

And next spring, he'll be rebuilding the steps because the wood rotted out. Such structures are made to breathe for a reason.
I'd just douse it every other evening, for a week or so, with one of the squirtgun spray cans from raid or whoever. If the holes are small, they don't fly in and out, they walk. Douse the entry points, and they will pick up enough of it.
They also sell powder stuff, at Farm Bureau. I used it a couple years ago for a ground bee infestation. (Got tired of wearing long pants to mow, in 90 degree weather.) I presume there is something for hornets available. Just a few puffs every night at the entry points.
If the steps are starting to show their age, I'd look at precast concrete ones to replace. They don't all scream 'trailer park' any more- some are actually pretty decent looking. -- aem sends...