How to keep raccoons away

Page 7 of 7
that:

Check out an airgun: Not the Daisy bb gun many had as a child, but an adult pellet gun (www.straightshooters.com). Don't know about where you are but here in MA firearms are highly regulated to the point I cannot use one on my 12 acres, but an airgun is not considered a firearm and has very little restriction. Check your local reg because some U.S. states and towns, as well as other countries, do restrict airguns significantly.
Also be sure to carefully check your local hunting regulations. Many places, including MA, have an "exemption" to the hunting season rules that give property owners the right to destroy wildlife in the act of causing damage or threatening personal safety.
Good luck.

Kevin Miller snipped-for-privacy@arg1cyhf.pbz (rot13) http://www.net1plus.com/users/miller9

That's interesting. Our town justice used to be my son's baseball coach, so we had lots of time to shoot the breeze. Once, I was having serious problems with a couple of dogs destroying vegetable plants (digging within the garden). The judge told me that as long as I did not violate firearms laws, it was legal to "reeducate" (i.e.: kill) such dogs. A couple of people who are not in a position to know these things argued with me about this, and asked me to confirm it. I was unable to find this in our town's statutes. Perhaps it's a NY state statute. I believe what the judge told me, but still....it's interesting to know where these things are written, for both practical AND historical reasons.
Did a quick search. Your town justice had it right. Here is the URL for the applicable NY state reg, section 11-0523: http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/damage.htm

http://www.net1plus.com/users/miller9
(rot13) wrote:
I am reminded of a neighbor of mine who found a couple large stray dogs in his yard. He called animal control and asked them to come and pick up the dogs. They told him that they were unable to come to his house. He replied that that was no problem, he would simply shoot the dogs. They told him that it was against the law. He explained that the stray dogs were attacking his dog and he would shoot the strays as a means of protecting his dog.
The animal control people arrived within ten minutes.
Dick

This reminds me of a neighbor a few years ago when he saw two kids breaking into his storage building. When he called the police he was told they didn't have a car ton send right away, but would get there when they cvould. He called them back in a couple of minutes and told them not to hurry that he just shot the two intruders. They show up in about 3 minutes and caught the two kids. The police ask why he lied about shooting the kids. He said well I got lied to by you when you said you had no car to send out.

Are you sure it is raccoons? We have a fairly large veggie garden and there are lots of raccoons around, but they don't damage the veggies. Des
message @ @

,34);}
On 10 May 2004 13:54:25 GMT, someone wrote:

racoons in the neighborhood not to go in the traps. But that won't keep them out of your garden.
You sure this aint just a troll????
-v.