How to keep raccoons away

Page 6 of 7

kill
*do*
Disagree. DC means unchanging voltage. Static charge changes as soon as it is 'used'. Otherwise I agree with what you say.

This makes sense. Good jolt but relatively safe.

Disagree all you want, but he's right. It's a DC voltage that decreases as it's discharged through a resistance (you), just like any other DC voltage.

...which is also DC, just like a static charge or lightning, but somewhat between the two.
"Adam Russell" | > | > Your static charge is DC. | | Disagree. DC means unchanging voltage. Static charge changes as soon as it | is 'used'. Otherwise I agree with what you say. | | > The fences probably use a capactive discharge circuit. | | This makes sense. Good jolt but relatively safe.
As a retired EE : DC means only direct current (as compares to alternating current) it does not mean unchanging. (an over simplified example: If you car has a volt meter watch it when the motor is off and when the motor is running.)
says... < <> < <> <> Your static charge is DC. < <Disagree. DC means unchanging voltage. Static charge changes as soon as it <is 'used'. Otherwise I agree with what you say. < <> The fences probably use a capactive discharge circuit. < <This makes sense. Good jolt but relatively safe. < < <
No, DC means Direct Current as in flowing only in one direction. Under your definition, batteries aren't DC because eventually they go dead.
        Bill

Static electricity _is_ DC. The power in lightning will be higher than you get from rubbing your feet on the rug, because the current is higher, but the voltage may very well be the same. It's all about joules (power over time).

The cattle fences that I grew up with sent very short pulses about once a second, at several thousand volts, and some really low amperage. And if you're getting zapped by electricity, it's not static anymore...

*** Next time your aldermen or county council meets for budget deliberations, show up. When the animal control people put in for their appropriation, point out their dereliction of duty. Pack the gallery with your supporters if you can, with the press if they will send a reporter. Democracy in action.-Jitney
"jitney" <> wrote in message > Next time your aldermen or county council meets for budget

And you'll be laughed right out of the building. The AC people are hired. They do what they're told to do, they pick up what they're allowed to pick up. The aldermen are ELECTED. They are the ones who need to change the policy if the AC don't pick up wildlilfe. I used to be an animal control officer which usually means a glorified dog catcher. I was paid to pick up stray PETS. Because I also was a wildlife rehabilitator they said I could pick up wildlife but wouldn't get paid for it. Only reason I could legally pick up wildlife is because of my rehab license. Sue Northern Wisconsin

When I caught a possum in a county supplied trap, the animal control folks said that they would come out and kill it and take the dead body. They would not accept a trap with a live wild critter. (They supplied the traps to capture CATS.)
So I told them to kill the animal. I was gone when they came but the critter was gone and there was some sticky blood left on the trap.

EZ way to get rid of the coon is to take it (in the trap!) to your local coon dog hunter. It'll help train his dogs to coons.
--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

local
I'm admittedly not fully awake yet, but I can't seen to find "coon dog hunter" in the yellow pages. Maybe under hobbies.....no. Furs?

country". The access to garbage and pet food and lack of real predators has caused a population explosion. The ****ONLY**** method that will work and work well is to install an electric wire. It's cheap enough since you already have the fencing. You'll need the standoffs for a wire around the bottom and one around the top. You can probably do it for less than $75 with stuff you can buy at the co-op.
Get a bobcat. (a real bobcat, not the tractor kind.)
Hope this helps, :-) Bob
Ignoramus15189 wrote:

Flippin' governments. Take the fun out of everything. ;-)

yep, I was thinking about setting up a sniper nest in my master bedroom bathroom, but my hopes were dashed. I have a "security light"that comes on when raccoons visit, so that shooting at them at night would be quite easy. But, I do not want to have gun violations on my record.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- @ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @ char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main()";main()         "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Russell wrote:

I know just one person who is so accurate with a slingshot that I wonder sometimes if what I'm watching was digitally altered. Years of practice, I guess.
www.slingshots.com

Hm, I would like to make my own slingshot. Where could Ibuy good rubber for it?
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
Russell wrote:

Oh for cryin' out loud....the top of the line model at that web site is thirty bucks and it has fiber optic sites. Live a little. Spend the money. But, the site also sells just the rubber bands, if you insist on being a shnorer.
Ignoramus15189 (ignoramus15189@NOSPAM.15189.invalid) wrote: : I have a fenced backyard where I have a vegetable garden that is : somewhat ransacked by raccoons. (or some other animals).
Here's the advice I hear frequently on "You Bet Your Garden" with Mike McGrath:
Dig a trench two feet deep around your garden, and put 6 foot tall wire fence into it. No burrowing animal burrows deeper than two feet. Use stakes to support the fence, and fill in the trench. You now have four feet of fence above ground and two feet of fence below.
Don't secure the top foot of the fence to the stakes. Instead, bend it outwards at least 45 degrees.
Now you have a fence that burrowing creatures can't burrow under, and climbing creatures can't climb over. When they try to climb, they have to hang upside down from the unsecured part of the fence, which bends under their weight and drops them on the ground.
The only way a critter can get through such a fence is by jumping over it, knocking it down, or going through it.
I've never tried this myself, but it sounds reasonable.
--- Chip
snipped-for-privacy@red.seas.upenn.edu (Charles H. Buchholtz) wrote in message wrote:

he ground.

------ In the ancient days they used a mote.
You had one around your castle... with a drawbridge.
Zebrin